Marcus Giles -Worth Picking Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles -Worth Picking Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marcus Giles -Worth Picking Up

Postby Featus » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:28 am

Somebody just dropped Marcus Giles to waivers, I have a chance to pick him up... Should I ?

This kid was reallty smoking in the early goings but has cooled off going into a 0-22 slump...

But he has gotten about 5 hits in his last 5 games... Get him?
Featus

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:15 am

To attempt to answer in any informed way, you need give a little more info......at least who he would replace for you.....current waiver position would be helpful to know as well. He won't do what he did earlier in the year, but he's a solid 2B option. He'll provide the most help in the runs department. He bats in a good spot in a good hitting lineup.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:01 am

Get him, while he's slumping. He'll heat up again. Especially if this is a keeper league, adding Giles can never hurt! (that is, if he's not replacing Jeff Kent in you lineup)
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mm23red » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:38 am

I have Brett Boone as my primary 2B. Should I drop M. Giles and pick up Cintron for utility????
mm23red
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby yeyo44 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:31 pm

Giles is done.. he went from 333avg to 285 or maybe even less, cintron is playing well, and see about getting Bo heart.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:59 pm

yeyo44 wrote:Giles is done.. he went from 333avg to 285 or maybe even less, cintron is playing well, and see about getting Bo heart.

Giles isn't done. He's going through a slump right now, but his batting average is still in the upper .280's. Don't expect him to go on a rampage, like he was before, but he'll definately heat up again!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby outlaw » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:05 pm

I have Giles who I play in UTILITY whenevr Bo Hart or Juan Gonzalez are not playing. I have Durham in 2B. Giles is great to have whenever the Braves play sorry teams or if you really dont have a great player to put in utility position. I like Giles and he will get hot again.
outlaw

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:52 pm

Giles is a good hitter in a great lineup. He's definately worth a spot on the roster. Like someone said above, he's not Kent, but he'll be a solid contributor.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:06 am

cloverhurstdawg wrote:Giles is a good hitter in a great lineup. He's definately worth a spot on the roster. Like someone said above, he's not Kent, but he'll be a solid contributor.

Including what he's done so far this year (.290), Giles is a lifetime .263 hitter. Not too good in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DEF » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:24 am

Giles is definitely one of the better 2B options around, even with his current slump. Saying he's not very good based on his career average is a bit unfair IMO. This is his first year as a full-time regular and until his recent downturn, he's been making the most of it. Citing a poor average while he was a part-timer battling for playing time is misleading. Giles had a career OPS of .935 in the minors, so there's no dount he has the talent to put together a solid season in the bigs. In fact, his hitting was never questioned. It was his defense that kept Bobby Cox from playing him full-time before this year, but he improved greatly in that regard in the offseason and now is an everyday player.

That said, while he's a solid option at 2B (a relatively shallow position), I'm not sure I'd recommend him as a utility guy, where his numbers would be compared not to other middle infielders, but to mostly OF and corner infield guys and you should be able to find a better guy to start from the much deeper OF/CI pool.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers