Help with contract values at the trade deadline - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help with contract values at the trade deadline

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with contract values at the trade deadline

Postby red » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:29 am

Hey guys-- hopefully some of you have been through something like this and can advise me. I'm the commish of a league which has contracts for players- 1,2,3, or 4 year contracts depending on when they were drafted. Trouble is- now the pretenders and the contenders have separated themselves- and the contracts that end at the end of this season are getting moved-- but no one can agree on the correct value for a current year player!
Has anyone gone through this with your leagues? anyone have suggestions?
the debates go something like this-- we don't want to create mega-teams, superteams, with all one year players that distort the competition. So a trade for a current year player needs to "hurt" the guy giving away the "lesser" player on a longer contract. But by definition, no one would trade say, Curt Schilling on a 2 year for Randy Johnson on a current year-- so how can you enforce a "quality rule" when we're talking about players of different calibers. Is Jose Reyes on a 4 year worth Arod? is that too light? is that too much?
I love the contract system because it gets players to move and keeps the league active-- but I also want to make sure that competitve balance remains pure in this year and in future years. Anybody go through anything like this? have suggestions?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby weitliz » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:48 am

First off, let me say that I have never participated in a league using contracts. All good academics know that stating bias up-front allows readers to judge the veracity of remarks :-)

That stated, here is my opinion on the situation....

Of course no one will agree on the value of players with single-year contacts versus multi-year. As mentioned in your post, the contenders have separated themselves from the pretenders, and now seek the players to put themselves over the top. By seeking the prize this year, however, they risk consistent success in succeeding years. In my opinion, this risk should rest with each individual owner. If one is willing to risk the next four years to assemble a superteam, so be it. Do the 1997 Marlins sound familiar?

I understand that other teams would perhaps have trouble with this concept because it could put some out of contention. But those teams unwilling to risk the future rarely deserve to win top honors. Sometimes glory in the present requires sacrificing the future.

From the perspective of the teams out of contention, trading for players with multiple years remaining allows for a stronger chance at contention the following year. Such forsight should not be punished by insisting on competitive balance throughout the year.

My advice: Allow the owners latitude in their trades. After all, some owners will play for this year, and others will take a longer-term approach. Each one of us will have different opinions as to the "correct" approach.
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers