Rangers sign E.Durazo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers sign E.Durazo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:00 am

I think this has the potential to be an excellent signing. I've been sleeping on Durazo's talent for a while; if he can remain healthy and carve out an everyday job he could have a great season.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rangers sign E.Durazo

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:35 am

speedy27 wrote:Erubiel Durazo - DH - Rangers

What are the Rangers planning to do with Phil Nevin?

Rangers signed designated hitter Erubiel Durazo to a minor league contract.
This certainly has the potential to be one of the bargains of the offseason, especially with Durazo saying he's fully recovered from Tommy John surgery. However, he's hardly going to be promised a spot in the Opening Day lineup. The Rangers' best offensive lineup would have Brad Wilkerson in center, David Dellucci in right and Durazo at DH against right-handers. Manager Buck Showalter might not be willing to sacrifice the defense, though. Wait and see how Durazo performs this spring before putting in more than a minimal bid. Feb. 21 - 1:41 pm et

Answered your own question right there in the part I bolded. ;-D

If Durazo makes the opening day roster, I'd say Dellucci is hurt the worst of this though. He only hit .234 the second half last year. If by chance Nevin doesn't pan out, then Durazo could steal at bats from him as well. I'd be surprised if this affects Mench at all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:04 am

Having the DH vs. righties Job would still be a reasonable number of AB so he'd have some value if he does reasonably well. If you somehow miss out on a 1B or can stick him at Util w/ daily lineup changes it could be a cheap guy to have around.

Does Durazo have any experience playing in the OF or anywhere else? I coudl see the Rangers having challenges at 2B if Kinsler struggles but I can't quite see a big hunk of beef like Durazo scooping grounders out of the hole... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:44 pm

I think there may have been at least 5-6 trades I have completely not heard of. Was he gone in the Chris Young deal with otsuka?

Anyways, Dellucci is hurt the most by this as he has great production from the DH spot with the power but his average has dropped (I believe) right after the all-star break. He also lacks the popularity factor as in he has never been a big name, Nevin was huge at one point and has more fan support.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:45 pm

While we're talking about Adrian btw, is he ever going to play?

Once a couple of years back he was regarded as a top 30-40 prospect, but he never plays. How old is he now, like 25? He reminds me a lot of Adam Hyzdu because of the potential but never having a chance anywhere. Momments like this bring Xavier Nady to mind as well as he has tremendous abilities but it just seems like he'll never ever be given a chance full time.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PacmanJr » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Zito is God wrote:While we're talking about Adrian btw, is he ever going to play?

Once a couple of years back he was regarded as a top 30-40 prospect, but he never plays. How old is he now, like 25? He reminds me a lot of Adam Hyzdu because of the potential but never having a chance anywhere. Momments like this bring Xavier Nady to mind as well as he has tremendous abilities but it just seems like he'll never ever be given a chance full time.

Ouch! Well, I hope you are sitting down. ZITO quit baseball to join the Dalai Lama in January. Don't freak out! :-o
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey you never know, I am absent during the offseason, for all I know the Oakland A's are in Quebec now...

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:54 pm

The kid has a lot of potential ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert