MCab's lame supporting cast - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MCab's lame supporting cast

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MCab's lame supporting cast

Postby Doughhead » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Sorry if this topic has been trampled to death, but how much will Cabrera's much-hyped "Triple A" teammates affect his own production?

Miggy is a stud, but his lineup mates are lousy. This concerns me, but I have a tendency to get over-analytical when it comes to these things. Any deep thoughts on this topic?

Thanks.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:39 pm

there are other threads on this. please search them out. the bottom line is great players find a way. He won't be hurt to any extreme by those around him. Who knows, Hermida could have a nice year.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:42 pm

I think it will hurt his numbers a little....He'll be pitched around alot and I don't know how patient a hitter he is, but being how young he is, he will probably get frustrated and start pressing a little bit....It's a tough situation for a young stud to be in...It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers he can manage, but I do see his weak supporting cast affecting his numbers a great deal
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I've got the 10th pick of a 10 team league which counts OPS as a 6th category. I'm pretty sure he'll be on the board but I'm not sure if I want to take him or not. Bay, Cabrera, Wright and Young would be likely other options (back to back picks so I can pick 2.)

Draft is coming up Saturday and I really have no idea whether I want to gamble on Abreu or not. :-o

I'd personally take Bay and Wright out of that group. Bobby is on the downward spiral i think. And M-Cab just doesn't have anyone around him to hit with. He's going to have 34 homers and 35 RBIs.

I'd go with Cabrera and Wright. Lineup protection is a myth.

;-D

It's not a myth when the other team has absolutely no one else to fear in the lineup. I wouldn't pitch to the guy once this whole year if I were an opposing manager. 4 walks a game for him. Why not? the rest of the team is AAA talent at best. He wont be able to do what Barry does in 300 some odd PAs.

Jacobs and Hermida are going to provide plenty of "protection" for Cabrera in 2006...if that's what you're worried about. These guys might not be household names, but they have legit major league bats. Cabrera will be fine this year, and well into the future.

;-D

link
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:50 pm

I've written a couple of pretty long posts on the subject, do a search of my name and you'll find them.

Basically, there is no evidence to support the claim that pitchers will pitch "around" Cabrera this year. Pitchers simply don't do that in the major leagues as often as many people think. Look at Chavez, Bay, Helton, etc. in 2005.

Cabrera is actually surrounded by 2 very talented young hitters in Hermida and Jacobs. Granted, it's no Carlos Delgado, but Cabrera is a good enough hitter to where it shouldn't matter much. Sure his walks will go up a little, and his Runs and RBI might see a slight drop, but nothing astronomical.

Cabrera is going to have a better year this year than he did last year. Feel comfortable drafting him in the first round.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pochucker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 pm

My theory is the only time he will get pitched around will be late in a close game. Since the Marlins suck and wont be in many close games shouldnt be a problem. After all pitchers are taught when they have a lead go after the hitter! They cant hit a 5 run HR!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Thursday » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Cabrera is a first round dude. Take him anyway, you won't regret it. Us fantasy players have a tendency to overanalyze anyway.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:11 pm

See what Jason Bay accomplished with one of the worst offenses in 2005.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/ind ... rID=424726

Out of 30 teams, PIT was 28th in R, 22nd in HR, 23rd in RBI, 25th in OBP, 23rd in SLG, 21st in AVG.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sor ... rtByStat=R

I wouldn't worry too much about Cabrera's support who is clearly more talented at a much younger age.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Yoda wrote:See what Jason Bay accomplished with one of the worst offenses in 2005.

Out of 30 teams, PIT was 28th in R, 22nd in HR, 23rd in RBI, 25th in OBP, 23rd in SLG, 21st in AVG.

I wouldn't worry too much about Cabrera's support who is clearly more talented at a much younger age.

Also check out Vlads number when he played for Montreal.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:53 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
Yoda wrote:See what Jason Bay accomplished with one of the worst offenses in 2005.

Also check out Vlads number when he played for Montreal.

I'm not doubting your point, but almost no one ever has been able to choose not to be pitched around and get so many powerful hits out of it. Mays?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers