unusual strategy help for 5X5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

unusual strategy help for 5X5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

unusual strategy help for 5X5

Postby Tramplers » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:08 am

I have been playing fantasy sports for years but am in a unique situation now. I am in a 16 team keeper league (5 keepers) and drafting 15th. The bottom 3 managers in the league at years end are swapped out so you want to make sure you aren't in the bottom 3. I have played with about 5 of these guys and as far as I know, all of the league are knowledgeable and will follow their teams all year so there are no gimmes.

Now for my question. I am thinking about going after 2 speedsters with my first 2 picks and then stocking up on closers and quality SP if available. My thinking is To win SBs, and hope to place in the middle with AVG and possibly RUNs with the hitters. With pitchers, hoping for SAVES, ERA, WHIP, and depending on what starters I can get, middle of the pack with WINS and Ks. With this strategy, I would not really be looking to win this year but finish middle of the pack and hope for a better shot next year. Any thoughts?
Tramplers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby loophole21 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 am

Are you seriously trying to finish in the middle? The whole point of fantasy baseball is to try to win your league. Have confidence in your abilities and try to win!
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:14 am

This question cannot be answered without seeing in depth keeper lists unfortunately. As a general strategy going after pitchers heavily is a mistake, they just aren't anywhere near as reliable as hitters. However in this case it really depends on who the keepers are as most teams tend to favor keeping hitting over pitching so it very well may be smart to just go pitching heavy early.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tramplers » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:19 am

This question cannot be answered without seeing in depth keeper lists unfortunately.

This is the first year so no keepers yet.

I have always tried to win my leagues and I will probably try to win this one also. This was just a strategy I was toying with. In a 16 team league where everyone knows their stuff and everyone follows their team everyday, drafting 15th is going to make for an uphill battle.
Tramplers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:14 am

Dude you pick 15/18 in the 1st two rounds, is that much different than 10/23 or 5/28? Just take the two best players avaiable and play the draft out to win. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:28 am

Tramplers wrote:
This question cannot be answered without seeing in depth keeper lists unfortunately.

This is the first year so no keepers yet.

I have always tried to win my leagues and I will probably try to win this one also. This was just a strategy I was toying with. In a 16 team league where everyone knows their stuff and everyone follows their team everyday, drafting 15th is going to make for an uphill battle.

Ok well since you are drafting I'm going to assume its H2H in which case balance is Key. Many people seem to think in H2H balance is less important but in reality it is much much more important, in any given week you can lose any stat, even if you are the best at it and your opponent is the worst, you really need balance in order to win consistantly at H2H. In roto it averages out more over time so you can specialize more and try to win that way, in H2H balance is essential.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 am

Drafting 15 and 18 in a keeper is a pretty good place to pickup SP, as this is a place in the draft where some of the best SP will be picked up.

If Santana is not gone by pick 15, he is an obvious choice. Peavy or Oswalt is a nice choice in a keeper.

I would not reach for SBs. If you want to get SBs early in the draft, try to find a guy will combines is with power. You should target guys like Bay, Abreu, Crawford, and Wright early in a draft to get both Sbs and power. I would avoid the guys who only bring SBs to the table until rounds 6-8.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:38 am

Tramplers...if you stack up on speed your offense goes to complete hell if one of those guys goes down. They're far harder to replace then any other players. Just draft as you normally would...15/18 is actually a fairly nice spot to have as you should pick up two high quality players.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:41 am

nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:25 am

loophole21 wrote:Are you seriously trying to finish in the middle? The whole point of fantasy baseball is to try to win your league. Have confidence in your abilities and try to win!
Agreed. Go for the gold. That's why we play. There are plenty more leagues out there if you don't make it in that one.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers