Joe Mama - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mama

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Mama

Postby shmolex » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

I like the nickname. I think it's even funnier that he has no idea what's going on. Sounds like the guy can hit though.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:39 am

I've been seeing this guy ranked in the top 5 for catchers on several occasions. I guess he's supposed to be real good, but wasn't Kaz Matsui too? I think he's a bit too overhyped for me. :-/
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:05 am

Good story....People that have watched him describe him as a better hitter than Iguchi.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm

I dont like him. I have a feeling that he will try to hard to establish a connection with his pitchers and will struggle in his all around game
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm

giants! wrote:I dont like him. I have a feeling that he will try to hard to establish a connection with his pitchers and will struggle in his all around game

I've never read that. Do you think it's happened to other catchers?

Joe Mama is such a stud, he could hold up a niiice fantasy season.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby giants! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Never seen it before thats directly linked to it, but there are reasons for me to believe it.
He's a catcher. Catcher's have to have a good connection with the pitchers. Jojima does not know english at all. I think he will try hard to develop that rapport and learn english that he will not focus on his hitting or he will press too hard and start swinging for the fences everytime.

I believe he will hit less than .270, with about 15 homers and 55 rbi's
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:37 pm

^

lmao I though it meant Joe Mauer. I hope I get the real Jo Mama as a second Catcher later on, but no way he is top 5 in my book.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:06 pm

I agree with Giants.

The other factor is that Japan has a short season, and this guy has never handled anything approaching the rigor a 162 game MLB season. Even if he performs well through August, I am quite confident that he will wear down over the long summer.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:24 pm

OK, I've never seen the guy play but I really think these Japanese hitters are getting very overrated. I mean Ichiro comes over here and is a huge success so I think that prompted some people to believe hitters over there were great or something. The only other player since him to become a top hitter in the MLB for a good deal of time was Hideki Matsui. Most of them seem to fade out(remember Shinjo) or just plain suck(Kaz). Iguchi has been pretty good though except he's nowhere near being a top caliber player. I just don't think he'll do well considering he isn't getting anywhere near as much hype as Hideki and Ichiro were getting.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 am

Red Stripe wrote:OK, I've never seen the guy play but I really think these Japanese hitters are getting very overrated. I mean Ichiro comes over here and is a huge success so I think that prompted some people to believe hitters over there were great or something. The only other player since him to become a top hitter in the MLB for a good deal of time was Hideki Matsui. Most of them seem to fade out(remember Shinjo) or just plain suck(Kaz). Iguchi has been pretty good though except he's nowhere near being a top caliber player. I just don't think he'll do well considering he isn't getting anywhere near as much hype as Hideki and Ichiro were getting.

Jojhima isn't getting as much hype because Ichiro and HMatsui were the class of Japan. This doesn't mean Jojhima will bomb. 275 15 hrs 70 rbis are certaintly reachable. Shinjo stunk because he was a career .249 hitter in Japan. Jojhima i believe was .299. He won't be a top 5 C, but he could crack the top 10. The language thing is overrated. Put down signs with fingers. Ichiro is helping him communicate. I don't think he will tire either, as he will be in the 130-140 game range.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers