Why cant Huff play 3B, move Gomes to 1B? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Why cant Huff play 3B, move Gomes to 1B?

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Why cant Huff play 3B, move Gomes to 1B?

Postby Jenkins » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:51 pm

Has this even been an option??

This would give us:

Lugo SS (or Upton)
Crawford LF
Cantu 2B
Huff 3B
Gomes 1B
Delmon RF
Baldelli CF
Hall C
Gathright, Upton, Burroughs, Dukes DH

Whats wrong with this?
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:03 am

Well mainly Gomes sucks and Bankston is the first baseman of the future. Plus I don't know if our pitching could handle that infield defense that you have set up there. Four infielders that are below average defensively with our pitching staff would not equal good things.

As much as I would to see the Devil Rays win 80+ games this year, I think they really need to stay the course with the minors program. Hopefully 2 or 3 of our pitching propsects can become major league pitchers and give us a decent starting staff in 07 or 08. Delmon really needs to start the year in AAA since he did not impress there last year. And hopefully while he is seasoning in AAA, maybe Gomes or Gathright impress enough to get us a pitcher in a trade.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jenkins » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm

You dont think Gomes is going to be good. Or do you just mean defensively?
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Jenkins wrote:You dont think Gomes is going to be good. Or do you just mean defensively?

Well since it looks like Huff is possibly moving to 3b this year, we definitely need Lee over at 1b to try and give us a decent shot at fielding infield balls. As far as Gomes, he is the one Devil Ray player that I have no use for whatsoever.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby coleminer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:27 am

Supposedly Huff looked good at 3rd, but Bankston didn't get any PT ...

Mar. 3, 2006 - 9:07 am et

In trying to win the third-base job, Aubrey Huff made two nice plays there yesterday.
"You have to get in game situations," Huff said. "I wanted to get some ground balls today. I was happy I did." Huff playing third base would hurt Tampa Bay's defense, but it would also lessen the outfield logjam and improve the lineup significantly.
Source: St Petersburg Times
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon May 01, 2006 10:48 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Jenkins wrote:You dont think Gomes is going to be good. Or do you just mean defensively?

Well since it looks like Huff is possibly moving to 3b this year, we definitely need Lee over at 1b to try and give us a decent shot at fielding infield balls. As far as Gomes, he is the one Devil Ray player that I have no use for whatsoever.
yeah Gomes sucks
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:yeah Gomes sucks

Thanks for your great input. ;-D ;-D

But he is not as great as you may be implying. His average is much better then I thought it would be and the power is still there. But that 46.8% strikeout rate is not much good to a team especially the Devil Rays. If our team was built around all power or nothing players, then Gomes production would be fine. But our team is built more around single and double type players that need to be driven in with more singles and doubles not either a homer or a K type of batter.
raiders_umpire

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue May 02, 2006 5:45 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:yeah Gomes sucks

Thanks for your great input. ;-D ;-D

But he is not as great as you may be implying. His average is much better then I thought it would be and the power is still there. But that 46.8% strikeout rate is not much good to a team especially the Devil Rays. If our team was built around all power or nothing players, then Gomes production would be fine. But our team is built more around single and double type players that need to be driven in with more singles and doubles not either a homer or a K type of batter.
I dont really care for your analysis, alot of power hitters KO alot.The guy pretty much carried your teams offense the first month of the season with all of the injurys.So you do not want the DRays to have any power is basically what your saying and you werent wrong about him?
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 03, 2006 12:16 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:I dont really care for your analysis, alot of power hitters KO alot.The guy pretty much carried your teams offense the first month of the season with all of the injurys.So you do not want the DRays to have any power is basically what your saying and you werent wrong about him?

Please come with more then this if you want to discuss Gomes. :-°

:-? :-? :-? Who K's at a almost 50% rate???? Dunn is at 40%, Sexson is at 35%, Thome at 32%.

Has he carried our team?? With power yes, with driving in runs not really. Wigginton has actually been our best run producer as sad as that is to say. :-o Gomes has only knocked in 5 runs when you don't count the homers. To compare Crawford has knocked in 10 runs not counting the homers. His power has been great with 11 dingers so far this year, but I would much prefer our starting DH to have only 5 or 6 homers and have a much better contact rate as well.

Do I want the Drays to have power?? Yes I want them to have power, but like the better teams in the league like the Sox, Yanks, and Cards, I also want them to make productive outs when they do hit into outs.

Am I wrong about Gomes?? To a point I have been so far this year, as I had him pegged for some power with 30+ homers, but I did think his BA would be closer to 250. So far I have been wrong on the average part, but if he continues to K at a near 50% rate, I do believe his BA will fall to 250 before the year is out.

Do I still want him on the Devil Rays squad? Nope, if we could get a productive player for him in a trade right now, I would jump all over it in a heartbeat.
raiders_umpire

Postby TurdFerguson » Wed May 03, 2006 4:33 pm

What more is there to come with when talking about Gomes and KOS.Its the first month of the season and his rate will probably go down so you are blowing it a bit out of proportion.Its his fault that Crawford has been sucking and not getting on base?What about Cantu and Lugo being hurt.He has also had absolutely no protetion in that lineup.Huffs been hurt and Baldelli has yet to step onto the field.I understand about wanting produtive outs but he has probably been trying a little to hard with those guys out of the lineup.If I am not mistaken he has also been pitched around quite a few a times and has also drawn a decent amount of walks.The RBIs will come when those guys get back into the lineup.I say he still ends up with .260-35-110 with a possibility of hitting over 40 HRs so I wouldnt call that worthless.Also of course you would jump on a trade with Gomes because the DRays have absolutely no PITCHING
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays