CBS Sportsline Commish Question RE: Player Availability - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS Sportsline Commish Question RE: Player Availability

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS Sportsline Commish Question RE: Player Availability

Postby PacmanJr » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:51 pm

I am NOT our league commish, so I do not know the details for league settings. Further, I tried posting this on the CBS message board but all I got was errors over and over, so I came to the all knowing...B-)

Is there a way for the Commish to limit the availability of minor league players. We are tossing around the idea of only allowing minor league players to be picked up after they make their major league debut. When they are called up, we would like to have them put on waivers for the highest priority team to be able to claim them.

Our commish is under the impression that this is not possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Side note: The problem with our keeper league is that most owners are not reacting quick enough to pickup players. I don't think that they are neccessarily less knowledgeable rather they are just busier than some of us. By they time they log on to pickup a player, he is gone. So, I am trying to come up with ideas to level the playing field when owners try to acquire young talent.

Feel free to link me to any question you have..
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PacmanJr » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:24 pm

I'll expand this question.

How do you value players picked off the waiver wire? We play in a keeper league where the value of a player is his draft pick.

So, if a minor league player is called up, he is available immediately, first come first serve. That doesn't appeal to me since a waiver wire player is currently worth a last round pick. As far as I know, there is no way to put players on waivers based on their major league status.

You guys have any solutions or am I just thinking too much? :-)
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm

i think the problem you're talking about is at 2:15, a game starts and a player is on a major-league roster. person A in your league who has been sitting on mlb.com all day notices it, adds them, and then everyone else who are doing other things sees at 8.00pm on sportscenter, only to find out that they're gone.

is that right?

if so, the solution we used last year on sportsline was made a rule that ALL free-agent pickups would have to clear waivers and ran waivers every day. all you have to do is when you pick up a free agent, there's a box that you can check that says, "process this with waivers" or something like that. if we noticed that anyone violated the rule and picked up someone midday, they lost the player and the right to pick them up for 2 days or something.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PacmanJr » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks Mathias. That may be a solution.

That is the problem. Some of our guys are VERY busy: Wall Street, Hospital, TV, etc., so they are at a huge disadvantage IMO.
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:30 pm

no problem.

and that's the same reason we did it. my rationale was: it's fair to penalize someone for not paying attention on any given day, but not fair to penalize them for having a meeting or other things to attend to at any particular point in that day.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers