Auction with real money - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction with real money

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 am

You could make it a keeper, so you get are risking something if you say sign Pedro to a 3 year deal... And you would need to have the minor league draft to help out the small market (poor) owners.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NL Only » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am

If you have the right rules it makes for a great, long-term league.

My 11-year running money league does it and, as you might suspect, it is very competitive.
NL Only (James)
NL Only
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am

Make it, say, a $50 cap if you don't have the money. The same principles apply, you might have to use cents though.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby swyck » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:18 pm

A auction $260 fee would be nice since it matches most auction numbers, but that is too rich for my cheap blood. $26 would be right up my alley. That's a nice number, and rounds nicely with minimum and incremental bids = 10 cents. I spend more then that on mags and books.

At the end you just divide the prize money. I like top 3 at a 4:2:1 ratio. For a 12 team league at $26 per team, the prize money would be $312 and the take is:
1st $178.28
2nd $89.14
3rd $44.57

Not too bad for a $26 entry.

There are plenty of leagues with entry fees. After taking any real league costs off the top, e.g. Yahoo Plus, CBS SPortline, etc., why not use the rest to represent the auction money?

Of course if your talking wide open Steinbrenner free for all type bidding, I agree that's crazy. "I'll start the bidding at $1100 for Utley!" 8-o
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:16 pm

If you have the right rules it makes for a great, long-term league.

My 11-year running money league does it and, as you might suspect, it is very competitive.

I think this sounds like a great idea...put a minimum and a maximum in (maybe $50 minimum to $260 cap) and allow people that want to try and win a championship with the Florida Marlins to take a shot at it. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:46 pm

I played something like this a few years ago.....check out mendozabaseball.com, or something close to that. It was interesting outlook on the fantasy game and the mlb setup of salary.

I just couldn't wrap my head around the scoring system they used.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:05 pm

swyck wrote:A auction $260 fee would be nice since it matches most auction numbers, but that is too rich for my cheap blood. $26 would be right up my alley. That's a nice number, and rounds nicely with minimum and incremental bids = 10 cents. I spend more then that on mags and books.

At the end you just divide the prize money. I like top 3 at a 4:2:1 ratio. For a 12 team league at $26 per team, the prize money would be $312 and the take is:
1st $178.28
2nd $89.14
3rd $44.57

There are plenty of leagues with entry fees. After taking any real league costs off the top, e.g. Yahoo Plus, CBS SPortline, etc., why not use the rest to represent the auction money?

Of course if your talking wide open Steinbrenner free for all type bidding, I agree that's crazy. "I'll start the bidding at $1100 for Utley!" 8-o

this defeats the whole point of making it real money. you're really just doing a normal auction league with a $26 entry fee. big whoop.

this idea is interesting, but only worthwhile if you're using salaries high enough that people legimately will drop out of the bidding because it is too rich for their blood. it's like playing real-money poker vs. play.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:14 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:05 pm Post subject:
swyck wrote:
A auction $260 fee would be nice since it matches most auction numbers, but that is too rich for my cheap blood. $26 would be right up my alley. That's a nice number, and rounds nicely with minimum and incremental bids = 10 cents. I spend more then that on mags and books.

1st $178.28
2nd $89.14
3rd $44.57

Of course if your talking wide open Steinbrenner free for all type bidding, I agree that's crazy. "I'll start the bidding at $1100 for Utley!" bigeyes.gif

this defeats the whole point of making it real money. you're really just doing a normal auction league with a $26 entry fee. big whoop.

this idea is interesting, but only worthwhile if you're using salaries high enough that people legimately will drop out of the bidding because it is too rich for their blood. it's like playing real-money poker vs. play.

Exactly...you've got to set the prices where people playing will debate whether they want to cap their salary or be more economical.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eviljoshing » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:12 pm

We're doing one. The auctions are actually just winding down. We also did a 40 minor league draft. There is no cap. We have teams from 120.00 to 400.00 (over 140 you have a dollar for dollar matching luxury tax). It's fascinating. Feel free to email me at mailto:kangajosh@aol.com with any questions.
eviljoshing
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of no cap but luxury tax...really makes the big spenders think twice.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers