Trivia Time Trial Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

Trivia Time Trial Rules

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

Trivia Time Trial Rules

Postby menyak » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:42 pm

Fantasy Baseball Cafe Trivia Time Trial

INTRODUCTION: The Fantasy Baseball Cafe Trivia Time Trial is a free and fun trivia quiz. Show off your knowledge of the sport by answering questions submitted by other users, and asking questions of your own. But watch out - you'll have to be lightning fast, as your competition will be working on the same questions, and only the fastest answer wins...

PRIZES: Monthly winners will receive the title "Trivia Expert of the Month" displayed under their username, along with all associated bragging rights. During the regular season (April through September), each month's top scorer will also receive a monthly winner icon. Let the games begin...

HOW TO PLAY: All new trivia questions that were submitted by one of the other players are hidden by default. Once you have logged in and entered the particular thread, the question will be revealed to you and the clock starts ticking. The clock stops as soon as you have submitted your reply, and the time it took you to answer the question will be displayed in the thread. (Your reply will be hidden to others as long as the thread is still open for answers.) To find the correct answer, all aides are allowed - you may look up the question in a dictionary, query your favorite search engine or even ask your grandfather if maybe he can remember. You have only one chance to reply, so it is up to you whether you want to take the time to make sure the answer is correct, or would rather take a gamble and go for the fastest time with a quick guess.

Each thread is open for answers for an entire week, starting from the moment a question has been asked. It doesn't matter if you're the first or last person to submit an answer - the only thing that counts is the time it took you from when you view the question to when you submit your answer. As soon as you have submitted your answer, all answers in the thread will be revealed to you, and you will also be able to post comments in the thread (these comments will also only be visible to those who have already submitted an answer to the thread). As soon as the week is over, the fastest correct answer will receive a point for the total standings.

Please note that during the season, your score can only rise as high as the number of questions you have submitted yourself. In other words, if you've provided the fastest correct answer to four questions, you'll also have to pose four questions of your own in order to get credit for your answers. If at some point your score tally is higher than the amount of questions you have submitted, you may still continue to play, but at the end of the season, you will only have points equal to the number of questions you answered correctly or the number of questions you submitted yourself, whichever is lower.

To pose a question, simply start a new topic and ask away. Questions can be of any difficulty, but should be neither ambiguous nor unsolvable. Please try to word your questions so that there is only one logical answer. Don't copy questions directly from other web pages - apart from copyright concerns, it's much more fun to make up your own. After submitting your question, please post a reply to your own thread with the correct answer - this reply will become visible to everyone who has already posted their guess, and it will also make it easier for the mods to award the answer point for your question should you be unable to do so (see below).

For one week after you have submitted your post, your question in the thread will be invisible to anyone who hasn't replied yet, and will only be revealed as soon as the thread is no longer open to answers.

A week after you have submitted a question, "answer" buttons will appear beside all replies that qualify as an answer to your question. Please revisit your question thread and click on the 'answer' button (which will only show on questions posed by you) at the top of the fastest correct reply - that person will then automatically receive a point. If nobody was able to guess the correct answer for a week, no point will be awarded. (Unanswered questions will be eventually locked by the mods to indicate that status.)

DUPLICATE OR BOGUS QUESTIONS: If a question is posted twice in any given week, only one point will be awarded (to the player who posts the fastest correct answer). Any attempts of abusing the system for messages other than trivia questions (aka "spam") will result in an immediate ban from the Cafe.

TRIVIA HALL OF FAME: This is where we'll keep track of how many questions each participant has answered correctly. One point (marked by (^)) will be awarded per correct answer. If the person who asked the question fails to award a point, the point can also be awarded by one of the game's judges. No points will be deducted for incorrect guesses.

VISUALS: Threads that are still open for replies will carry the deadline in the thread's title. Once the deadline for answers has passed, the question's topic title will be shown.

SCORING: At midnight (EST) on the last day of each month, the final score for that month will be calculated, and the Trivia Expert of the Month will be crowned. Note that only answers that have been CONFIRMED by this time will be included in the tally. All other answers will be carried over to the next month. All questions that have been submitted during the MLB season up to the start of the playoffs will also be counted toward the season championship, with the player answering the most questions during the season being named the Trivia Time Trial Champion and winning the grand prize.

If there is a tie at the end of the month, all players tied for the highest total will be named Trivia Experts of the Month. If there is a tie in the season standings at the end of the regular season, those tied in the standings will receive a list of questions; the first to answer all questions correctly will be declared the Champion.

Cafe administrators and trivia moderators are not eligible to win the grand prize, but may answer questions for fun. Moderators of other sections of the Cafe remain eligible.

The Trivia Time Trial is, of course, free.

CHEATING: It's only a game - so don't even think of it. And even though it's just a game, if we catch somebody trying to manipulate the contest in any way, we'll ban that person from the entire board. We're serious.

THE LAST WORD: All rulings of the game's judges are final. This includes the right to correct errors, amend these rules and cancel or reset the ongoing contest at any time in order to keep this game as enjoyable as possible in the long run.

© 2003-2005 Stefan Micke.
Last edited by menyak on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Sun May 19, 2002 5:35 pm

Still no million dollar grand prize, unfortunately. But since fantasy baseballers tend to value bragging rights at least as highly as money, we'll add the notation 'Trivia Champion' to the ranking of the previous month's champion... until the next monthly winner is crowned, that is.

Happy guessing! B-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby menyak » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:16 pm

UPDATE: Still no carribean cruise, but the 2003 baseball trivia game will be sponsored by The Sporting News. Wow! They will be giving a free league signup to the winner. More info coming soon!
Last edited by menyak on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:24 pm

Awesome!!!

Thats killer news guys to have sportingnews affiliated with your site!
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

REWARDS??

Postby monster » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:57 am

it's all about the love of the game anyway, isn't it? ;-D
I didn't really say everything I said.
-Yogi Berra
monster
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: i'm in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here...

Postby Arlo » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:14 pm

Absolutely! Always has been, and always will be. ;-D

Still, I don't think anybody will complain too vigorously at having to take home a prize at the end of the season... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Wed May 19, 2004 1:02 pm

Am I reading this right? If I submitted questions this week, I will then be qualified to answer questions next week? Is this correct?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby menyak » Wed May 19, 2004 1:09 pm

ironman wrote:Am I reading this right? If I submitted questions this week, I will then be qualified to answer questions next week? Is this correct?

In fact, since it's not Wednesday, 6 pm EST yet, you will be qualified to answer questions this week.
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Wed May 19, 2004 1:30 pm

menyak wrote:
ironman wrote:Am I reading this right? If I submitted questions this week, I will then be qualified to answer questions next week? Is this correct?

In fact, since it's not Wednesday, 6 pm EST yet, you will be qualified to answer questions this week.

OK, that makes sense then. Its worded kind of weird in the rules.

Arlo wrote:To participate in the Blitz, you will need to submit at least one question during the previous week.

Thanks for the quick response Menyak! :-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Question

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 am

What if you are in a different time zone and are asleep at 6PM and can't indicate correct answers until 2AM EST? Is there either: a way to handle this or a person to whom both the questions and answers can be sent so that the answers can be posted in a timely manner?

Thanks.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Trivia Time Trial