(thread actually about) Juan Benched - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

(thread actually about) Juan Benched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:02 am

If he was Billy Johnson from Omaha, he'd have done nothing wrong.

Juan isn't the first to use this clause, he won't be the last. Because he isn't white, everybody wants to trash him.

foreign? I guess that was just a 'Freudian Slip' on your part.

The proof is there, you just choose to ignore it. The door is open for you to step out of your fantasy world and into reality, you just need to make the move. Thanks Danks81 .. very well said.

Its a shame that we can't have a discussion about real baseball issues. Like no market anymore for Overpaid Mid 30's players.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:03 am

It may have something to do with race. Who really knows and who can actually say they know for sure. The issue is an attitude. By refusing the trade Juan has said that he doesn't want to play ball. He would rather sit on his ass in Texas than explore his options elsewhere. The Rangers have said they are going to go with their younger players and Juan is no spring chicken. People like us would give almost anything to be able to play pro baseball for a fraction of the money that he is getting. By making the decision to refuse the trade he has basically publicly stated that he would rather sit on his can and be an overpaid athelete that be a ball player. Harold Reynolds said it himself,"The object of a ballplayer is to play the game." If you really wanted to PLAY (and I mean play not get paid) you would take the PT that would come in Montreal instead of sitting back and getting a fat check for splitting time in the field. Just my thoughts.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:33 am

That's what I figured. You cannot explain why it is a racist statement, because it isn't.

In fact, if you read thru the thread, you will notice I never call anybody racist. I do state that minorities in general tend to get treated slightly differently.

Yes, even 'The Corker' - as you call him - may have sufferred this differing treatment. I'm not saying he has or hasn't, but it has been brought up, but of course you callously cast it aside.

I'll try to explain this treatment standard in a differnt way. Let's say I'm hiring a person. I have 3 applicants. All 3 have identical qualifications and skills, but have skin colors 'A', 'B', and 'C'. I am skin color 'A'. All things being equal, person 'A' should be hired 1/3 of the time. In reality, person 'A' is hired at a much higher rate than that. I wouldn't call a person racist for hiring person 'A', but I do believe there is an underlying issue at work. Identifying and preventing that issue is key to balancing the playing field in the workplace, and in social circles.

You can call me misguided for applying the theory here, but don't call me a racist unless you can explain to me how my statement is racist.

I won't resort to calling you names, wrveres, that has been done to death in this forum. Perhaps this topic is just a little too deep for you and Danks to comprehend.

Do you think it is a coincidence that Danks uses the word 'foreign' in his first statement attacking Juan?

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:37 am

wrveres wrote:Its a shame that we can't have a discussion about real baseball issues. Like no market anymore for Overpaid Mid 30's players.

what a shame ...
this will be my last post on this subject.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:40 am

Well, if you can't keep up, that is probably best.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:43 am

It is a shame that when a minority player does something that is viewed as wrong or less than perfect, that person in question and people around him/her use the race card to deflect attention.

Pulling the race card is like throwing in the towel. It says that I can no longer logically defend myself so I will pull the last trick out of the hat and hope that it sets me free.

Standing up for yourself makes you a man, not hiding behind your color.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:48 am

...spoken like a true Southerner.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mattusd » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:50 am

I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks race is not an issue in professional baseball or a key component that plays a major role in how players are perceived is kidding themselves.

of course it is an issue... and as an indians fan, i expected juan gonzalez to invoke the clause because i know how he thinks. in almost every interview he gave while he was with cleveland, he stressed how it was extremely important to him to be "happy and comfortable" which he wasn't in detroit. and in texas, he feels that way. what about the larry walker thing earlier this year.... he had a chance to go to d-backs, obviously contenders, and leave the lowly rockies who were once again projected to finish at the bottom of the nl west..... and what happened, he invoked the clause and everyone said, yeah we expected that... and moved on.

no one cared, because walker is a beloved hero in denver... as he should be, he's had a lot of success there. but juan gone has had equal, if not greater success in texas... but his inability to communicate with the fans and the media hasn't helped his public image.

so when juan gone invokes the clause, he is attacked... because he is foreign, because he lacks the means of communication, because he is latin and not white.... no one questioned walker's motives, but gonzalez' were immediately questioned. and that, my friend, is called a double standard.

one more thing to think about.... how many non cubs fans were pulling for sammy sosa over mark mcgwire in the home run race of 98? not many, i imagine.

so don't tell me it isn't an issue.... there is no other issue.

if you want to call me a racist... fine, but i'm not white in case you were wondering... so you can't possibly conceive my perspective... you can only judge it from your point of view, which is absurd... just how juan gone's point of view is judged.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:51 am

Explain to me exactly what you mean by that. I would like to hear you make a rational arguement without insulting my heratige, color, etc (since you have absolutely idea what any of those may be).
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:52 am

Well, thanks for the support, however this is just getting too comical.

You are sporting the 'mother of all racist insgnia's' (Chief Wahoo), yet support my cause?!?!?!

That's kinda funny.
Last edited by DGroundhog on Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers