Bonds to Retire after 2006 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonds to Retire after 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds to Retire after 2006

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:07 pm

USA Today was told by Barry Bonds after 2006 season, this hurts his value for keepers but also ups it because he will be determined to play and earn the most homeruns and pass Hank Aaron

your thoughts?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballsimp » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:58 pm

good ridence. never liked the guy and I hope he is 1 HR shy

on a fantasy standpoint it will decrease his value in keepers big time should not change his standing in redrafts I wouldnt think

You seem to think he will swing for the fences and connect most of the time. I think that would deplete his OBP, BB and AVG
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:58 pm

We can only hope he retires.

Are we really supposed to believe that he's made up his mind not to come back without knowing how he's able to play on his bum wheel? As usual, Bonds is attempting to manipulate the media to try to get folks to pity him. In the end, guys with his type of ego (See Clemens, Jordan, Barkley, etc), never really retire until they are physically unable to play anymore. Does anyone really think that if he were 10-30 homers shy of the most prestigous record in baseball that he won't come back if his knee will allow it? It's just my opinion, but I think he retires by the all star break because of the knee.

Frankly, I can't wait until then. I'd rather hear about the new sluggers of the day battleing for a playoff spot in August, rather than waste anymore time wondering how Bond's knee is holding up (while the Giants are securely out of the playoffs in third place in the worst division in baseball.)
atticus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

haha

Postby hoopitup21212 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:24 am

About damn time! I hate Bonds and baseball doesn't need Bonds and his steriods.
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:33 pm

footballsimp wrote:good ridence. never liked the guy and I hope he is 1 HR shy

If he is 1 homerun shy of the record at the end of the year, there is no way he retires. I agree that the only likely way he retires at (or before) the end of this seaason is if he has broken the record, or it becomes impossible for him to play with the bum knee... or if he does so badly that it becomes obvious that the homerun record isn't as close as he thought.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hoopitup21212 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:29 pm

quitesanemax wrote:
footballsimp wrote:good ridence. never liked the guy and I hope he is 1 HR shy

If he is 1 homerun shy of the record at the end of the year, there is no way he retires. I agree that the only likely way he retires at (or before) the end of this seaason is if he has broken the record, or it becomes impossible for him to play with the bum knee... or if he does so badly that it becomes obvious that the homerun record isn't as close as he thought.

He would be stupid if he retired. Bonds I think will play until he beats the record. If he was to beat the record I think it would be bad for baseball.
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Musicdude10 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Good riddance. His retirement has nothing to do with his knee, he only wants the record and is then saying good bye, and wants to stay out of the media this year, although it will be hard with the hr's. he has too much going against him with the steriods, and baseball doesn't need his "i'm tired, i'm just so tired" and "back off or i'll snap" excuses to the media when they ask him questions other than things that make him look good. the man has avoided any chance to make public appearances, avoiding homerun derbies, the WBC, off seasons, and no guaranteed timetables for his return from injuries etc. All i know is that his surgery at the end of last season was supposed to keep him out until this year's spring training, and he came back in 1/2 the time. steriods helps you heal faster, its been proven, its recomended by doctors for that use. Bonds is 38, too old to recover that quickly on his own. so i can't wait until he retires and breaks his knee on the first pitch he sees this season and it breaks right off
Kerry Wood and Prior aren't actually hurt but don't like Chicago weather in march/april and late july/august. Notice they were on the dl during those times

Felix Pie doesn't exist. He's a marketing scam by the Cubs to give the fans hope
Musicdude10
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

hmm

Postby hoopitup21212 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:05 am

Musicdude10 wrote:Good riddance. His retirement has nothing to do with his knee, he only wants the record and is then saying good bye, and wants to stay out of the media this year, although it will be hard with the hr's. he has too much going against him with the steriods, and baseball doesn't need his "i'm tired, i'm just so tired" and "back off or i'll snap" excuses to the media when they ask him questions other than things that make him look good. the man has avoided any chance to make public appearances, avoiding homerun derbies, the WBC, off seasons, and no guaranteed timetables for his return from injuries etc. All i know is that his surgery at the end of last season was supposed to keep him out until this year's spring training, and he came back in 1/2 the time. steriods helps you heal faster, its been proven, its recomended by doctors for that use. Bonds is 38, too old to recover that quickly on his own. so i can't wait until he retires and breaks his knee on the first pitch he sees this season and it breaks right off

Bonds staying out of the media just doesnt look to good. Makes him look guilty. Has anyone heard how much weight Barry has lost?
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rg_baseball » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:00 pm

i hope he soon leaves i cant stand him. I think this is just an attention getting scheme. the day after he said this he told the press that he would be back for 07 as long as his knees felt fine. i just want to see him go home. you know he would be great advertising for the fat head wall decals. i mean we all know hes got a truly fat head.
rg_baseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates