BB51 Rankings: New Version: 1B/3B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BB51 Rankings: New Version: 1B/3B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:47 pm

I think Howard has shown more than Morneau did in the past. Im expecting a good season out of Howard and have him above Giambi in my rankings. It seems like Im always down on players with hype like Howard and more time than not I get burned...well not this year. I see the guy having a great year and major league career.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby chris8 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:04 pm

I think Edwin Encarnacion deserves inclusion in the 3B tiers - round about 6 or 7.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:11 pm

chris8 wrote:I think Edwin Encarnacion deserves inclusion in the 3B tiers - round about 6 or 7.

I agree but Id say low tier 7 or tier 8.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Zito is God » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:19 pm

I have a couple of problems with this:

I honestly think its maddening that ortiz is still not considered a tier 1 player. He HAS all the tools, I see him putting up better numbers then Pujols because of the aging STL lineup this season...

Prince Fielder and Chad Tracy in the same tier? Kidding right? Tracy had a fantastic year, prince is ASSUMED to have a fantastic year. I remember when Ryan Leaf was a tier 3 QB, then what happened? You can't base tiers on rpediction with no major league experience, I don't see this valid.

As far as third baseman go I NEED to see Hillenbrandt higher on everyone's list. The guy has you covered in bategories across the board, as well as playing in a better lineup this year then last. I see him as a guy who will surprise this year and will jump at least a couple of tiers come 2007.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:56 pm

I agree with a lot of what Acid Rock said.

D Lee is a back end tier 1 guy. The batting average was a fluke, but the HRs were not. I project .295-95-42-115-15.

I think Giambi should be tier 3 right behind Berkman. Giambi had on OPs post all star of 1.067 with 22HRs. Tempting to put him into the second tier.

I also think Chad Tracy should be moved up to the top of tier four. He in 508 ABs he went .308-72-27-73. He's a full time starter this year.

I think Howard is properly placed in tier 4. Until he can prove he hit LHP. He could end up in a platoon, and Charlie Manuel seems more than willing to use them, a la Chase Utley 2005

I have not seen a projection that shows Fielder with less than 30 HR. I think that also puts him in tier 4.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:20 pm

I should have qualified any remarks re Prince Fielder by explaining my suspicions that the Brewers are the sleeper team this year! :-)

That being said, I'd better read up on Chad Tracy some more to see if he's warranted. Really, I'm aiming at a few 3B early so I don't think I'll be in the market. Which, of course, means someone else will take *MY* 3B and I'll end up w/ Tracy, so I'd better get used to him.... 8-o

Also, I did not by any means mean to imply that the tiers or anything anyone really has posted are 'wrong' just that I find broader tiers more useful for drafting and sorting through players. All this stuff is largely guesses at this point anyway. I think that where you get stuff is from arguing back and forth about it. IT is doubly frustrating, of course, because all of my friends IRL that I might discuss these issues with are in the league so, obviously, we are ONLY talking about college hoops until the draft! hee hee...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:09 pm

I'm much lower on D. Lee than most people are. I don't think I can be convinced that he'll repeat his monster season. I still see a great season (upper 30 HR, 110 RBI, 10-15 SB, possible .300 AVG) but not enough to place him with Pujols and Teixiera.

I guess you could make a case for Ortiz being in tier 1 but I can't see how he puts up the same numbers as last year. I believe last year was his career year and losing Damon won't help matters. Still a great option, but I can see both Teixiera and Pujols improving upon last year, while I cannot see that from Ortiz.

I've been toying with the idea of moving Giambi up near or ahead of Sexson. I think he has the ability to hang in that tier, I'm just a little more nervous about him than I would be about others in that class.

Thanks for the insight guys, keep it coming.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Your welcome, your lists are great. Really reflect the thinking in the cafe, which is second to none.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:20 pm

If Teix is tier 1 than I think Ortiz is as well, they will put up nearly identical numbers most likely. While I think Ortiz will start to regress some there is no gaurentee that Teix is going to 720 PA's again which is just an insane amount. I would draft Teix over Ortiz on upside but I can't say that one is clearly a large step better than the other.

Konerko and Delgado aren't even the best hitters in tier 3, so they are fine right where they are.

Putting Arod in a tier by himself is pointless, everyone knows he's a #1 or #2 pick, just stick Wright and Cabrera in tier 1 and save yourself a tier.

I don't really see Ensberg being a full tier over Blalock. If you look at the 2 year averages Blalock is better, if you look at the 3 year average Blalock is better. Blalock is younger by 5 years and he's in a better lineup.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sockeye » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 pm

In a 5x5, I'd drop Boone and Youkilis down to the next group - seems a better home for them than with.

I'd also think about eliminating Tier 4 - Ensberg goes down, Rolen and Figgins go up. Most of the mock drafts and my own league draft would support this......
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers