BB51 Rankings: New Version: 1B/3B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BB51 Rankings: New Version: 1B/3B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BB51 Rankings: New Version: 1B/3B

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Been a while since I updated these. Instead of jumbling the new stuff in with the old threads, I figured I'd start it clean slate. Here's the 1B/3B edition of my tiered rankings...

First Basemen:
Tier 1:
-Albert Pujols
-Mark Teixiera

Tier 2:
-David Ortiz
-Todd Helton
-Travis Hafner
-Derrek Lee

Tier 3:
-Lance Berkman
-Carlos Delgado
-Paul Konerko
-Adam Dunn
-Richie Sexson

Tier 4:
-Jason Giambi
-Ryan Howard
-Chase Utley
-Jeff Kent
-Jim Thome
-Aubrey Huff
-Justin Morneau

Tier 5:
-Chad Tracy
-Mike Sweeney
-Prince Fielder
-Brad Wilkerson
-Chris Shelton
-Jay Gibbons
-Lyle Overbay
-Mike Jacobs

Tier 6:
-Nick Johnson
-Nomar Garciaparra
-Dan Johnson
-Casey Kotchman
-Conor Jackson
-Nick Swisher
-Dimitri Young

Tier 7:
-Frank Thomas
-Sean Casey
-Kevin Youkilis
-Jeff Bagwell
-Ben Broussard
-Tony Clark

Third Basemen:
Tier 1:
-Alex Rodriguez

Tier 2:
-David Wright
-Miguel Cabrera

Tier 3:
-Aramis Ramirez
-Eric Chavez

Tier 4:
-Morgan Ensberg
-Chone Figgins
-Scott Rolen

Tier 5:
-Chipper Jones
-Troy Glaus
-Hank Blalock
-Chad Tracy
-Melvin Mora
-Jorge Cantu

Tier 6:
-Ryan Freel
-Nomar Garciaparra
-Adrian Beltre
-Ryan Zimmerman
-Garrett Atkins

Tier 7:
-Placido Polanco
-Mike Lowell
-Shea Hillenbrand
-Aaron Boone
-Bill Hall
-Kevin Youkilis

Tier 8:
-Joe Crede
-Bill Mueller
-Pedro Feliz
-Brandon Inge
-Andy Marte
-Mark Teahen
-Tony Batista
-Corey Koskie
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steelers Rule » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:52 pm

I'd move DLee into the first tier. The two years before last, he had very slow starts and didn't have that at all last year so I'm anticipating he'll be pretty decent, even if his BA slips a bit. His SB are still enough to put him up a bit and, according to a Chicago Tribune story (not that they'd get any inside info or anything like that...) the Cubs are looking to be running some more.

I like Berkman in tier 2 as well, I see him as being a big bat this year.

I'd consider bumping Giambi up a notch too...his 2nd half was very good, perhaps showing he may have gotten the roids and sushi cleaned out of himself? Forecaster's 'eye' stat (bb/k) for him was .75 in the first half and shot up to 1.21 in the second half, and his BA rose from .257 to .282 while OPS went from .761 to 1.100 and 5 hr went to 27!!

For 1B, in a 12 team league, I'd consider putting the first 2 tiers together, Howard and Giambi into the second tier and then the line between 3 and 4 right after the Prince and then wouldn't really be bothered considering anyone below DaMeathook w/ the late round picks. I think that slightly bigger tiers are a bit more useful in drafting as you have a few guys to choose from.

I'd not disagree that Big Al > everyone else but the top 6ish guys are all going to put up pretty monstrous numbers and planning as in: 'ok 3/6 tier 2 1B are gone, I've got a top 3B and OF, who's in tier 3 or do I move into the SP?' is more manageable w/ bigger tiers, IMHO. I'll probably tweak the list that way myself and I'm not sure if that's rattling around these threads somewhere. I'll do 3B next...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby theclefe » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:03 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I'd move DLee into the first tier. The two years before last, he had very slow starts and didn't have that at all last year so I'm anticipating he'll be pretty decent, even if his BA slips a bit. His SB are still enough to put him up a bit and, according to a Chicago Tribune story (not that they'd get any inside info or anything like that...) the Cubs are looking to be running some more.

Any team would be looking to run more if they picked up Juan Pierre. I don't see Lee toping 20 steals, with his HRs in the 30s. Not enough to bump him up a teir.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:04 pm

3B, I'd swap Ensberg and Rolen, putting them in a second tier w/ Figgins up to Chavez. I'd have Aram in the first tier w/ ARod, MCab and Wright. I like Blalock more than Chipper, just b/c he's GOT to get the hang of lefties one of these days and has a lot of growth potential there w/ an even reasonable performance. His continued challenges there really hurt him. Jones is kind of puzzling to me but did pick it up after a slow start. I'm going to try to steer clear of older players this year would be the main reason, which I realize is not really the best one. Other than that, I think that the 3B tiers are very close to where I'd put them, w/ ARam, Ensberg, Nomar being the bottom of the top 3 tiers. I'd steer clear of Mora as he scares me though. Good player but he's had some luck (h%) on his side and that's not going to last forever.

The other thing I do when I tier guys is not bother worrying that much about who's better within a tier as that's kind of the luck of the draft type of stuff. If you're not #1 or #2, Arod is out but if another guy in the first group is available, just try to get whichever other one you can.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:11 pm

A little too much love for Ryan Howard, IMO, putting him ahead of Utley, and other guys who have shown much more. I'm afraid Ryan Howard could end up being Morneau of 2005 :-o

I think Giambi will be more productive than Sexson this year, and should be a Tier 3 guy.

Rolen's a Tier 3 3B, and that's being conservative.

Garrett Atkins needs some more love, especially if you are able to do a platoon 3B situation.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Morrison8312 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:3B, I'd swap Ensberg and Rolen, putting them in a second tier w/ Figgins up to Chavez. I'd have Aram in the first tier w/ ARod, MCab and Wright. I like Blalock more than Chipper, just b/c he's GOT to get the hang of lefties one of these days and has a lot of growth potential there w/ an even reasonable performance. His continued challenges there really hurt him. Jones is kind of puzzling to me but did pick it up after a slow start. I'm going to try to steer clear of older players this year would be the main reason, which I realize is not really the best one. Other than that, I think that the 3B tiers are very close to where I'd put them, w/ ARam, Ensberg, Nomar being the bottom of the top 3 tiers. I'd steer clear of Mora as he scares me though. Good player but he's had some luck (h%) on his side and that's not going to last forever.

The other thing I do when I tier guys is not bother worrying that much about who's better within a tier as that's kind of the luck of the draft type of stuff. If you're not #1 or #2, Arod is out but if another guy in the first group is available, just try to get whichever other one you can.

Let's just put everyone in the first tier eh :-D

Nice job BB51 ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:22 pm

Great list ;-D

The only thing I would change is to bring Teix to 2nd tier. I think Pujols is just too good, and I don't think guys like Ortiz isn't that behind compared to Teix.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:35 pm

Morrison8312 wrote: Let's just put everyone in the first tier eh :-D
Nice job BB51 ;-D

actually, what I did last year was give the top guys (Pujols, Arod, etc...) a '+' instead of a separate tier. My point was just that tiers w/ two guys in them, while perhaps scientifically more accurate, lose some utility in the heat of a draft. If some guy grabs say Wright right before you were going to grab him, I think that it's reasonable to pick ARam unless another first tier guy at another position of greater value is there too. Generally, w/ some exceptions a tier 1 OF = Tier 1 1B= tier 1 3B. Some of the other positions simply don't have monsters and it's good to be able to see that, for example a tier 3 1B might still outslug a top tier C as well.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby daullaz » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:13 pm

1B

If you're going to have Tex in the first tier with Pujols, I believe Ortiz deserves to be there too. Konerko and Delgado seem to be just a little too good for the rest of the guys in their tier. The Prince belongs in Tier 4 at least, instead of around guys like Jacobs, Overbay and Gibbons. I wouldn't bother putting Bagwell on the list at all.

3B

Looks good to me, though I would definitely take Bill Hall out.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers