A-List Actors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A-List Actors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Pitt does low budget films like Ocean's 11 & 12, Troy & Mr. & Mrs. Smith ;-7

Of the less fiscally acclaimed films, he's also has quite the laundry list of hits: Snatch, Fight Club, Se7en, Meet Joe Black, Sleepers, Twelve Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, Interview with a Vampire, and is starring in an upcoming film 'The Assassination of Jesse James', which sounds pretty badarse from what I read about it.

Plus he goes home to Angelina at night...

:-°
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CHE » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:44 am

bigh0rt wrote:Pitt does low budget films like Ocean's 11 & 12, Troy & Mr. & Mrs. Smith ;-7

Of the less fiscally acclaimed films, he's also has quite the laundry list of hits: Snatch, Fight Club, Se7en, Meet Joe Black, Sleepers, Twelve Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, Interview with a Vampire, and is starring in an upcoming film 'The Assassination of Jesse James', which sounds pretty badarse from what I read about it.

And all those films were big flops prett n much.

Umm you think fight club was a big budget film , same with snatch. LMAO. ;-7
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:25 am

I know Fight Club did horrible at the box office, but had quite the run at DVD sales, however, Oceans 11 was not a flop...

I also think that being A-list or whatever has more to do with recognizability than anything else. It's all shameless promotion.

Personally I could care less if an A-list actor is in a movie/show I watch, it's all about the story and whether I'm invested in it, kind of like Troy. Even though it may have had the glitz and the glamour, the fact that it took such dramatic liberties with the source material and contorted the fights into some sort of travesty really turned me off. The only character I cared about was Hector, and naturally he dies, along with the rest of the film.

Whereas we have a movie like Serenity, which had an ensemble cast of unknowns (for the most part) that managed to keep me emotionally vested in the characters.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby theclefe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:33 am

Coppermine wrote:
As for Clooney, I don't know why you mention him but I know his politics sometimes get more attention than he does; aside from those politics, which I don't care for either way, I thought Good Night and Good Luck was fantastic.

no politics. I was dissapointed he left ER because it made him, then said he wasn't an A-list actor. People dissagreed.

Nice. Thanks for the list Omaha. Too many people to be A-List IMO.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 am

bigh0rt wrote:Pitt does low budget films like Ocean's 11 & 12, Troy & Mr. & Mrs. Smith ;-7

I'll have to check that out bigh0rt.

Maybe we should define A-list. I agree that my list was a little long to be an A-list. I did that on purpose, however, to get more names for discussion on there and also to give the original poster something to work off of. So does A-list mean how much you can demand when making a film, starring in a feature film basically by yourself or recognizability.

I don't know if anyone noticed yet, but I did not put any actresses on that list. Sorry, ladies, I was looking at a much longer list of only actors.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:40 am

i'll throw in my 2 cents on this

A-list to me doesnt necessarily mean you are a "good" actor, but that 90% of America know who you are and that you're likely to get top 3 billing in a movie. so even though Ben Affleck or Sandra Bullock cant really act, you put em in a movie and their probably the star

i'd say B-list is more reserved for people famous for TV or has beens (like Jim Belushi) or other marginally talented supporting type actors in movies

C-list would be those people who think they're more famous than they are (like Kathy Griffen) or actors with bit parts (like Stifflers mom from American Pie)

D-list = reality TV "stars" and soap opera actresses
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'll throw in my 2 cents on this

A-list to me doesnt necessarily mean you are a "good" actor, but that 90% of America know who you are and that you're likely to get top 3 billing in a movie. so even though Ben Affleck or Sandra Bullock cant really act, you put em in a movie and their probably the star

i'd say B-list is more reserved for people famous for TV or has beens (like Jim Belushi) or other marginally talented supporting type actors in movies

C-list would be those people who think they're more famous than they are (like Kathy Griffen) or actors with bit parts (like Stifflers mom from American Pie)

That's a good start on a definition there, but I think there is too much room in between your A and B list. Also, there's a Z-list I believe too. B-list to me could include the Wilson brothers, Luke and Owen, and probably actors that you would recognize, but may not know their name.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theclefe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'll throw in my 2 cents on this

That's a good start on a definition there, but I think there is too much room in between your A and B list. Also, there's a Z-list I believe too. B-list to me could include the Wilson brothers, Luke and Owen, and probably actors that you would recognize, but may not know their name.

I'm with you on your A-list, but I agree that your B is a bit of a jump. I would remove TV stars from the equation and bump B and C down.

What is Z-List? I haven't heard of that.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:20 pm

CHE wrote:

And all those films were big flops prett n much.

Umm you think fight club was a big budget film , same with snatch. LMAO. ;-7

You think Fight Club, Snatch, 12 Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, Interview with a Vampire, and Se7en were all flops? None of them were blockbusters, but I guarantee you each one of them made a ton more money than they cost to make. Just because a movie doesn't rake in 100 mill doesn't mean it was a flop.

Meet Joe Black and Sleepers I never saw and have no comment on.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:44 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-list

I'm trying to find a definition or explanation of the Z-list, but I basically think it's the 'bottom of the heap' as mentioned in this article on wikipedia.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk