Mauer Madness - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer Madness

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tomdoyle3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:55 pm

TheOmen wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:i'd much rather have Ramon Hernandez in the 16th round than Mauer in the 7th-8th.

Easy to say that now...but there was no gaurantee Hernandez would be great. I took Mauer in the 5th knowing what I was getting, and enjoy every minute of 1st place.

Nice try.

Joe Mauer has limited power (at this stage of his career), limited speed (for a 5th round pick), will end up with about 130 games played this year, is an injury risk, and plays in a terrible lineup.

Ramon Hernandez has been playing alot longer than Mauer. He has more power, hits for a solid average, plays in a better lineup, and he can be picked 10 rounds later.

Not only is Hernandez more valuable 10 rounds later, but I'd rather have him, barret, Varitek, Posada, Johjima.. The list goes on.

Also, Mauer is in his 2nd year, we can't yet say that we know what we are going to get out of him.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EnFuego » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:01 pm

He's batting DH today, 2-2 already, batting .378. :-°
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:10 pm

tomdoyle3 wrote:
TheOmen wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:i'd much rather have Ramon Hernandez in the 16th round than Mauer in the 7th-8th.

Easy to say that now...but there was no gaurantee Hernandez would be great. I took Mauer in the 5th knowing what I was getting, and enjoy every minute of 1st place.

Nice try.

Joe Mauer has limited power (at this stage of his career), limited speed (for a 5th round pick), will end up with about 130 games played this year, is an injury risk, and plays in a terrible lineup.

He'll get more games than that. He's already started 51 games this season (including tonight) and pinch-hit in 3 others. Out of 59 total games (including tonight) for the Twins. He's their best hitter and so gets starts at DH some of the nights he would be off since he's a catcher.

His counting stats (Runs / RBIs) are low (relatively) because the Twins offense has been so weak. But give the kid some props. As a hitter, he's been great this season. At the catcher position? Absolutely fantastic.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tomdoyle3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:14 pm

Matthias wrote:
tomdoyle3 wrote:
TheOmen wrote:

Nice try.

He'll get more games than that. He's already started 51 games this season (including tonight) and pinch-hit in 3 others. Out of 59 total games (including tonight) for the Twins. He's their best hitter and so gets starts at DH some of the nights he would be off since he's a catcher.

His counting stats (Runs / RBIs) are low (relatively) because the Twins offense has been so weak. But give the kid some props. As a hitter, he's been great this season. At the catcher position? Absolutely fantastic.

I agree with everything you said.

Although, wasn't it kind of obvious that the Twin's offense was weak before the season started, wasn't it kind of obvious that his rbis and runs would be low?

I would much rather take a player who will hit about 30 hrs, have 90 rbis, bout 80 runs scored and hit for a solid average in the 5th round than a catcher.

Remember, he is hot right now, he will cool off.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm

EnFuego wrote:He's batting DH today, 2-2 already, batting .378. :-°

This guy is now hitting .414 since May 1st 8-o

Even with limited power numbers, Mauer is easily the most valuable fantasy baseball catcher going around.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EnFuego » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:58 pm

NZF wrote:
EnFuego wrote:He's batting DH today, 2-2 already, batting .378. :-°

This guy is now hitting .414 since May 1st 8-o

Even with limited power numbers, Mauer is easily the most valuable fantasy baseball catcher going around.

Mauer is the man. 3-3 today.
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:02 pm

Mauer for MVP!
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)