Mauer Madness - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer Madness

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J_Cuz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:57 pm

You'll regret not having Street this season.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:59 pm

We all do it. I do it all the time. I could care less about Abreu or Crawford as opposed to Dunn and Sexson so I take the players I like and know will do well without regard to how Crawford has been consistent and improving everyyear. I can honestly say there are plenty of guys in the top 100 I would pass up simply for personal reasons:

Konerko
Abreu
Rollins
Crawford
Rowand
Chipper
D.Willis
...among many MANY others

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:03 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I have learned the hard way (in some ways still learning) that having personal reasons instead of fantasy stat reasons for choosing your players always is your downfall in not winning the league.

oh, man. I just took Bonds in the early 3rd, Roberts in the late 6th and Gagne in the early 7th

all for personal reasons...

I could have taken Dunn, Street or Cordero...

Dunn is awful. I'd take Bonds before him any day of the week.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I have learned the hard way (in some ways still learning) that having personal reasons instead of fantasy stat reasons for choosing your players always is your downfall in not winning the league.

oh, man. I just took Bonds in the early 3rd, Roberts in the late 6th and Gagne in the early 7th

Wow, I respectfully completely disagree. Strictly because of medical reasons I take Dunn in a heart beat.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Mauer is good, but he doesn't deserve to be picked that high yet. His power is still mediocre and he only offers sbs and avg right now from the catcher spot. And if your drafting a got that high for speed he should he posting closer to 30 or 40 anyways. I usually grab him high because I'm bias, but he should be drafted in the 8 round or later.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Here, I'll help you out.

If you want to replicate Mauers numbers: Just don't draft him and take Baldelli in the last round. I guarantee he will replicate, if not surpass Mauer's numbers this season.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Wow, I respectfully completely disagree. Strictly because of medical reasons I take Dunn in a heart beat.

Dunn may present an unbalanced valuation, killing the avg, but 50 Hrs and 100 rbis is not awful. It is no worse than someone like Pierre, who presents 40+ SBs and 0 Hrs with 40 rbis...indeed is probably better than that since Dunn only torches one category not 2.

If you draft Dunn, you take on the problem he brings, which is one of the reasons I usually bypass him for someone else in the early rounds. But if he slips far enough, I would grab him.

Bonds is an injury risk and who knows how much he plays or for how long and at what level. Extremely risky and I would not be picking him over Dunn. I simply would not be risk it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:12 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

I think Dunn's BA will eventually be in the .270 range either this year or next with the same power.

but... I like Bonds.

Looking back. Other guys available are Hafner, Helton(I do have Pujols), Sheets, Berkman, Matsui
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:51 pm

The guys in the 5th/ 6th round area seemed as if they would be more likely to put up bigger numbers. Guys like Sexson or AJones or CZam. Maybe not quite 1st tier players but there aren't many guys after them who are going to have much chance of raking 40 HR or putting up Zambranoesque numbers.

Mauer and his batting trainer will get 20 or 30 points more in average but he'll cost you 20 HR in the long run and has injury questions as well. And you if you opt for one of those 40 HR not quite the BA guys, you still have shots at other C who will still knock out 10-15 HR, only maybe 10 or 15 less than Mauer. And, if you skip AJones, for Mauer, your OF replacement later on in the draft while someone else takes a less lofty C might be somebody like Jaques Jones or Trot Nixon who will might not be a lock for the 20 HR and will also likely end up .260-.280 BA.

I think that the opportunity cost of reaching for any C, even VMart, in an early round is not worth it. I will be talking C up a lot at the draft though. I would like guys to go after them. ;-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:47 pm

Zito is God wrote:Here, I'll help you out.

If you want to replicate Mauers numbers: Just don't draft him and take Baldelli in the last round. I guarantee he will replicate, if not surpass Mauer's numbers this season.

Heh. That's going to be a tough guarantee to live up to.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers