How typical

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:25 pm

RugbyD wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Unfortunately it seems funny that states that are considered more hillbilly then other states semingly always vote republican

I'm not calling out only ACS here, but comments like this are exactly why politics should be banned. Yes, he didn't apply a label to anyone in particular, but you can't honestly tell me that this is not instigating. And it's not just this post, there are several others around that I do not waste the time to comment on.

If we're playing that game, I find it interesting that the states that are considered more yuppie than other states seemingly always vote Democratic. <= Sinking to the liberal levels around here, no pun intended. O:-)

Heres a link to the smartest states.

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank05.htm

Notice that most of the top 10 states vote Democrat.

Also a majority of the bottom ones vote Republican

its just interesting

Huh?

This study measures people who can't even vote, let alone looking at people who actually do vote.

Yes but people do grow up into educated individuals. Eventually they can vote. As its hard to test education when Adults are no longer in school

This isn't making sense. You need to explain how testing kids at one point in time directly affects the behavior of voting adults at the same point in time, also accounting for the fact that voter participation rates increase the longer someone has been out of school. We'll go easy and not even throw in the effects of inconvenient variables such as people actually moving from state to state at any age level, social promotion, and test scores from anyone above 8th grade. This is an untimed question. Good luck.

Easy its not an exact fix but it does give a good definition of how the education system is in a state. If it ain't broke don't fix it. States with a good system probably aren't gonna take a huge dive to the bottom of the list. However, states at the bottom can make their way to the top. So you can say that the states near the top pretty much have a good system in place. I guess its assuming some but its clearer then me just calling people hillbillies and thats why I posted it. Also, the amount of people moving from state to state is not that great. As for test scores above eigth grade I'm not sure why they wouldn't include those.

Anyways it does give a good idea I'd say. Not given scientific fact but its interesting how it works
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:37 pm

If you moved from your current state to Vermont, your move would raise the IQ of both states.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Whoa!!! 13 pages!!!! 8-o

I'm not avidly into politics and ain't smart enough in that area to back up thoroughly in words some of beliefs compared to some people here so I won't join into the political discussions going on. I'll just say I am neither a liberal or a conservative because both of those parties I don't agree with anyway but I seem to be more against the direction conservatives are going nowadays but that's irrelevant IMO.

But what I want to say which is already being said basically is why get fed up over some of this stuff when its on an online baseball forums with people you don't even know? All politics does IMO with regular people is make them lose friends, gain enemies, get people stressed out, and resort to lots of unnessecery bashing and hating. This is a reason I don't like talking politics that much. It eventually resorts to arguments simply over whose party is "right" which by the way is a never ending issue unless you get rid of the idea of political parties. (And probably still after that there would be arguments because not everyone is always going agree.) Why should debates between liberals and conservatives turn into hatred when debates over if Miguel Cabrera or David Wright is a better keeper don't?

I can't really get to a point here, but I personally don't think politics should be allowed on this board because it turns people against each other here and makes respected, knowledgeable members like wr here want to leave. You want to talk politics discuss it at one of those boards that slomo posted. And just ignore something someone writes if it pisses you off.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:37 am

slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Unfortunately it seems funny that states that are considered more hillbilly then other states semingly always vote republican

I'm not calling out only ACS here, but comments like this are exactly why politics should be banned. Yes, he didn't apply a label to anyone in particular, but you can't honestly tell me that this is not instigating. And it's not just this post, there are several others around that I do not waste the time to comment on.

If we're playing that game, I find it interesting that the states that are considered more yuppie than other states seemingly always vote Democratic. <= Sinking to the liberal levels around here, no pun intended. O:-)

Huh? Hillbilly and Yuppie are that bad? Bad enough to close a thread over? 8-o

I'm in Texas (as are you Slomo, if memory serves), and have heard it all: Hicks, rednecks, hillbilly, cousin lovin, inbreeders, cowboys, etc. You know what? All of them are false, and even the person saying it, knows they are incorrect. Are there hillbillys down here? Sure. Am I one of them? Not hardly :-b . Does it offend me if people call Texans hillbillys? Not in the slightest. However, I will tell them to visit sometime and I'll be happy to show them how wrong they are. I certainly don't take any real offense to the generalization because I'm aware of how off base it really is.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:17 am

Madison, is it true that everything in Texas is broken? :-?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Madison wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I'm in Texas (as are you Slomo, if memory serves), and have heard it all: Hicks, rednecks, hillbilly, cousin lovin, inbreeders, cowboys, etc. You know what? All of them are false, and even the person saying it, knows they are incorrect. Are there hillbillys down here? Sure. Am I one of them? Not hardly :-b . Does it offend me if people call Texans hillbillys? Not in the slightest. However, I will tell them to visit sometime and I'll be happy to show them how wrong they are. I certainly don't take any real offense to the generalization because I'm aware of how off base it really is.

:) but its fun to call texans hillbillies! :) Actually I wasn't thinking texas on that one. I was thinking WVA and alabama :)

People call me hippy all the time. Doesn't bother me
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

:) but its fun to call texans hillbillies! :) Actually I wasn't thinking texas on that one. I was thinking WVA and alabama :)

Hippie ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Hippie ;-)

Thats it!!! Close this thread! You need sensitivity training :-t :~(
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:13 pm

Madison wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I really don't mean to give this thread new life, but I've got a question. A friend of mine - also a native of Texas - told me that the only true Texan he's ever seen on TV was King of the Hill's Boomhauer.

True or False?
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:05 pm

dannyolbb wrote:
I really don't mean to give this thread new life, but I've got a question. A friend of mine - also a native of Texas - told me that the only true Texan he's ever seen on TV was King of the Hill's Boomhauer.

True or False?

Your friend is full of it. Boomhauer is perpetuating a stereotype; and hilarity ensues from it. But I've met a few people who are native Texans and I think that Hank Hill is truly the most representative of the state.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk