New draft tool - now with even more stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New draft tool - now with even more stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:13 am

This is pretty cool and I definately want to check it out further, but alas I have an early day tomorrow and and a long day at that so I probably won't be able to give any feeback before Tuesday or Wednesday.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby ClarkAddison » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:33 pm

This would be a very useful tool in a draft scenario. I used something similar to this for my NBA draft that was on basketballmonstor.com. It calculated running averages/game, but did not compare it to winning totals. I used my leagues data from previous years to asssess where I needed to improve as the draft progressed.

Options that I would need to use it in a draft include:

1) Option to enter league characteristics such a team positions, number of teams.

2) Option to include or exclude bench player stats

If you did not have access to enough league stats to come up with % to winning total you could normalize results to a running total/games - example RBIs/Game, Runs/Game. That way if you had your own league totals you could see how you are doing versus your onn leauge parameters.

Great work and good luck
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:07 pm

definitely pm rynman about getting the numbers he collected, because tons of people posted. And Even if some of the numbers were skewed, the mean should be pretty close to the overall mean given the number of posts, and would certainly be better than going off of multiple years in one league.

Edit: Just put my latest team on there, and the only problem I had was i couldn't adjust number of OF C and such. Instead I just put in my starters... A good way to get a quick look at overall numbers though.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

All great feedback

Postby MmmmBeer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:24 pm

I will definitely be implenting a change so that you can enter hwo many teams are in your league, and how many of each position you draft... Also, you will be able to select which team took each player during the draft, and there will be a running comparison between all teams... You'll also at some point be able to save your info.

Instead of having your "goal" set as average category points to win the category, would the above running total be enough? You could at all times see where your team was vs other teams, so you could always make the decision about your best choice. I think the software should also keep track of how many players at each position have been taken vs the total at that position...
Draft Tool (in progess!): http://www.grumpytom.com/fantasybaseball
MmmmBeer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ClarkAddison » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 pm

The free download software at fantasy inforcentral lets you do something like that. It give you a running total as to what place you are in in each category and a running overall total. The problem with their system is you can't enter the name of the player chosen and instead have to search for it in table. In a draft with 90 seconds between picks such as CBS that system does not work. You just don't have enough time to enter the picks.

Your system might work as you can enter the name. Try it with a 90 second timer and throw some picks in that are made immediately to see if would work in a live draft. In a live draft with longer intervals that would definitely work.

This is the software I am referring to:

http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/mlbdraftsoftware
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Lots of updates!

Postby MmmmBeer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:09 am

I've added some of the things we've been discussing - you can now tell the software which team took which player, and it will keep a running total of all the teams, based on standard point scoring.

I've also changed the look just a little (mostly fonts).

Right now it has a set number of teams (and team names), and it still has the set configuration of positions, but please play with it a little and let me know what's still not there. I'd really like to be able to use this DURING the draft, so if you can suggest ways of speeding up the interface, let me know.

One bug (that I know about) - the team's overall rankings are a little off - right now it doesn't "split" points between two tied teams in a category - it randomly ranks one higher, and that team gets the extra point. I'll fix that soon.

Thanks again for all the help!
MmmmBeer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ClarkAddison » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 am

I think the changes you have made really make this something that now would work in a live draft even with short selection intervals.

It appears that you have set this up so you can now select various players and assign them to teams with "one" click. This would be very very useful as you could catch up quickly entering picks if you fell behind entering the information. I did, however, find when I tried this with two different teams and selections it appeared to only enter one of the picks and not the other.
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

RE: Bug to multiple player drafting

Postby MmmmBeer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:33 pm

Fixed. You can now draft as many player's as you'd like at one time.
MmmmBeer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Fixed: Overall team points calculation

Postby MmmmBeer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:02 pm

I think I've fixed the calculation for team overall points - it now splits points between teams tied with a certain tally in a category.
MmmmBeer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rsjrx21 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 pm

can't wait to try it out, looks great

but .... there are some players missing from the rankings, particularly three SP i was looking for ... harden, peavy, lackey

?
rsjrx21
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers