Clemens WILL NOT pitch a full season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens WILL NOT pitch a full season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clemens WILL NOT pitch a full season

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Now I think the earliest I'd take him is within my last 2-3 picks. This changes every day though...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

Clemens leaning toward retirement
Rocket says he won't pitch a full season for any team

If Roger Clemens decides to pitch this year, it will not be for a full season, regardless of whether it is with the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox or Rangers. Clemens told SI.com he still is leaning toward retirement, but "if I do pitch it will be May, June or July. That's what's likely.''

Clemens, speaking from his home in Houston on Thursday, said he is training to pitch for the United States in the World Baseball Classic and that "my arm feels ahead of the curve right now." He will join the team March 2 in Phoenix and is scheduled to start the USA's third game in first-round pool play, against South Africa, also in Arizona. The finals will be held March 20 in San Diego.

Clemens said he will decide sometime after the Classic whether to retire. Asked if retirement was still his leading option, Clemens said, "Yes, because that's how I felt at the end of last season.'' Referring to his wife and oldest son, Clemens added, "Deb and Koby were the ones who told me then, 'Hold off. Don't decide anything until February, until you're sure how you feel.'"

Clemens cannot negotiate with the team he played with last year, Houston, until May 1. He said he has met with two teams, likely the Red Sox and Rangers, and discussed a midseason return with all teams that have contacted him.

Clemens said he intends to spend at least the first month of the season visiting friends in New York and Boston, watching his sons play ball, including Koby, an outfielder in the Houston organization, and possibly working with minor league pitchers. His decision to return, he said, will depend on his health, his family's input and "the kind of commitment and competitiveness of the four teams at that time.''

Said Clemens, "It's nice to hear from these teams that they're interested. It's very flattering. A lot of scenarios have been discussed, even the Fourth of July [return]. But I told them I'm in no position right now to even try to make that call.''
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:47 pm

April 10th...Roger, this is (insert name of GM of major team). We really are interested in bringing you on board. How about 12 M and you can start May 15.

Clemens: Nah...I think I will stay retired.

GM: 14 M?

Clemens: Nah.

GM: 19 M?

Clemens: I want a Hummer included and you have to name your next born "Rocket".

GM: Deal.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:50 pm

I really wasn't expecting a full season anyway. I still think he returns to Houston mid-season though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:53 pm

So he would pitch for three months not including playoffs and World Series stuff??? :-B :*)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBV » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:11 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:So he would pitch for three months not including playoffs and World Series stuff??? :-B :*)

i also took it that way. :-o

i think what roger means is that he will start later in the season and pitch from then on?
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Return to Baseball Leftovers