Hermida VS Francoeur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hermida VS Francoeur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Franceaur tore up the league the first time through, is an extremly aggresive hitter, drew virtually no walks. Then second time through everyone adjusted, his homeruns dried up, and his average plummited. Until he gets plate discipline he will be a .270-20 hitter. I do think he can overcome it though and become a Miggy Cabrera type hitter.

Miggy has shown improvement in BB:K that Franc never has. Anything in particular that makes you think he'll be like MCab?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hermida VS Francoeur

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:18 pm

Here's your thread back ABS, sorry. Anyway, anyone who takes the time to sort through the entire thing can learn a lot about both players, IMO.

Yoda wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Which one would you rathar have on your keeper team?

Both are almost identicle in age and play the same position.

Looking at mL numbers, one would probably say Hermida, but Francoeur did have a solid roockie year.

Right now I have them ranked right next to each other, but wanted to here others' opinion.

In fantasy, Hermida and it is not particularly close right now. Reality, Francouer has a gun so his defense makes up some of the deficiencies on plate discipline.

Coolest1 wrote:I'd go with Hermida. Francouer is looking towards the sophomore slump. Pitchers were already figuring him out at the end of last year.

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i'd take hermida. francoeur might hit for more power but hermida will swipe a few more bags and you have to like hermida's ability to get on base.

AcidRock23 wrote:The other thing about Hermida is that the Fish just unloaded Pierre, for which the mainstream baseball press has excoriated them (the WORST team in the power rankings on ESPN?? in the same sport as KCR? :-? )

I'm thinking that they figure that Herida is ready and will produce at the same level at 1/6 the cost so Herida could be slotted in for a similar # of R to Pierre, w/ some more pop in his bat to boot. I think the Marlins are going into the season grossly underrated, at least in the big picture, and that the key guy will be Herida w/ MCab knocking him in, maintaining a reasonably consistent production.

looptid wrote:
Freebird27 wrote:
Broncmet724 wrote:I'd take Hermida 6 days a week and twice on Sunday

Kind of a leap without him proving anything in the big show

two different types of players

Francour will be a good power hitter with decent avg for years
Hermida (if he comes through on the hype) will be a 5 tooler but not really dominate in any cat...20-20 good avg?

.293/.383/.634 during Herm's 23 game stint in the majors. The sample size is way too small, and there is no way he averages more than a homer per 12 plate appearances, but he didn't look overmached or green last September.

Every player is different, but Francoeur not drawing any walks scares me.

Francoeur's OPS by Month
July - 1.362, 46 AB
August - .878, 109 AB
September - .739, 93 AB

I think the risk on both players is about even. Francoeur doesn't get any edge because he played in the majors more last season as he didn't make adjustments at the plate as the season went on. Hermida will face the same problem Fancoeur did facing teams and pitchers the second time around once advanced scouts have had the chance to pick at his game, but given his plate discipline is way beyond Francoeur's, I'll lay my money of Hermida.

hybrid wrote:I'd rather have Hermida on my keeper team. He is a much safer prospect cause he is already a complete package, he understands the game. Not to mention he still has upside and potential, so he is a rare commodity. Francoeur is much more of a raw prospect compared to Hermida. He has the potential to be more of a power threat in the future, but that's about the only area I can see him over taking Hermida in.

George_Foreman wrote:Francoeur's probably got the higher ceiling hitting-wise, but I'll take Hermida in fantasy for the steals.

The way I see it, Francour projects to be a .280 25 HR hitter unless he can get some plate discipline. If he can be more selective at the plate, and cut down on his Ks, he could turn in to a very special player.

Hermida is safer, but I don't think he's got the same upside as Franoeur.

Half Massed wrote:From what I've seen, Hermida projects as 25/15/.300 kind of guy over his career, while Franceour projects for better power, less speed and similar average. I'm not completely sure how accurate that is, anyone care to back me up or correct me?

As for this next season, they're both risks, but Hermida seems safer. Maybe Franceour calms down, adjusts, and doesn't fall into the sophomore slump everybody's predicting, but he could just as easily go the other way. Hermida has the patience that points to a more stable season. It depends on how he adjusts his strike zone.

davidmarver wrote:Hermida and Francoeur both played their minor league ball last season in the Southern League. Hermida's numbers dwarfed Francoeur's and they were both 21 at the time. Hermida has more speed, better patience, and doesn't lack power.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers