Show-boating costs America Gold - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Show-boating costs America Gold

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Show-boating costs America Gold

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:41 pm

NBC wrote:BARDONECCHIA, Italy (AP) -- Lindsey Jacobellis had the Olympic women's snowboardcross won, and then -- incredibly, inexcusably -- she made one last move on the next-to-last jump and fell.

She lost.

Coasting to what should have been an easy victory, the American grabbed her board on the way to the finish line. It caused her to fall and while she scrambled to her feet, Switzerland's Tanja Frieden sped past and became the first champion in the strange and wild sport of Olympic women's snowboardcross Friday.

Jacobellis won silver, but should have had the gold. She was well, well ahead of Frieden, and the other two women in the four-rider final had fallen long before.

Snowboarding is about style, though, so Jacobellis decided to show off for the fans in front of the grandstand near the end of her ride. But after she landed from her grab, she caught an edge, then went tumbling outside the blue line. When she recovered, she trailed Frieden over the finish line, then put her hands on her knees and held her palms up.

Jacobellis insisted she wasn't showing off.

"When you grab in boardercross you're trying to get back on the ground as fast as possible," she said. "You try to be stable in the air."

U.S. coach Peter Foley fell onto the ground in disbelief.

He said Jacobellis has always had a tendency to grab her board for stability, but after looking at a frame-by-frame breakdown of the jump shot by Associated Press photos, he conceded Jacobellis probably had gone over the top.

"She definitely styled that a little too hard," he said.

Foley wasn't alone.

"Sometimes it's subconscious, but that was putting on a show," said American Seth Wescott , the men's champion from the day before and Frieden's boyfriend. "It's one of those things. I did it in my early rides yesterday but you've got to choose your time and make sure you don't miss."

That debate will linger. Either way, it was hard to think the only American rider in the women's finals -- one of the best in the world -- could blow this one.

But she did.

Her flub left the American contingent standing in the bleachers stunned and shocked -- Frieden, as well. She knew she had no business winning the gold.

Thus ended another strange and memorable day on the snowboardcross course, where it's the side-by-side racing that usually causes the thrills and spills.

That was very much the case at the top of the course in the finals. Canadian Maelle Ricker, the fastest woman in qualifying, came off a jump, rotated awkwardly, caught her backside edge on the landing and smacked her back and head onto the ground. She was taken off the course on a stretcher. She was conscious and was being taken to a hospital in Torino for observation.

A few moments later, teammate Dominique Maltais, the eventual bronze medalist, went careening into the netting after a jump.

That made it a two-woman show and it wasn't even a contest. Jacobellis could have practically crawled the rest of the way to the finish line. She probably wishes she had.

During the awards ceremony, she stood on the podium beneath Frieden and smiled, but there looked to be some tear stains there.

Jacobellis came into the Olympics as one of the best-known Americans, a poster child for her sport, to say nothing of the credit card company she endorsed. She'll also leave as a poster child for something much different -- the whole idea of making sure the victory is sealed before you celebrate.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

[url=NBC.com]http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/5113610 ... qs=pt=espn[/url]

Disgraceful
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:00 pm

Women... ;-7
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:02 pm

Good riddance.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:05 pm

LOL.

Too funny. But sad when you consider that the other two racers were Canadian and with 2 of the 4 racers and the American falling down we still only managed to win a bronze. :-t

This snowboard cross is very cool. But it's the only x-game type of event that I like.

I had an idea for the summer x-games.

Here it is: Skydiving races.

cool eh?

A bunch of racers get in a plane and jump out at the same time. The first one to the ground wins!

If you want to make it really extreme you have night skydiving races.

Whadayathink?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby zepfan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
I had an idea for the summer x-games.

Here it is: Skydiving races.

cool eh?

A bunch of racers get in a plane and jump out at the same time. The first one to the ground wins!

I would watch that event for sure. And I bet if I competed, I could win it at least once, too! ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:32 pm

i like the fact that the men's and women's gold medal winners are boyfriend-girlfriend....and the guy (seth wescott) is from MAINE
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 pm

It's not worth winning the gold medal if you can't show boat a little in the process. It's the American Way. B-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:58 pm

Dude if this happens tonight and you ruined it for me I'm gonna be pissed..

attach SPOILER!*(#**@$&O(*!&@#$()*&SPOILER IF you are telling something that I can watch later
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:Dude if this happens tonight and you ruined it for me I'm gonna be pissed..

attach SPOILER!*(#**@$&O(*!&@#$()*&SPOILER IF you are telling something that I can watch later

Prepare to be pissed. It really happened.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:04 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Women... ;-7
:-D :-D :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk