C.J. Henry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

C.J. Henry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

C.J. Henry

Postby JohnR » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:27 am

I've heard people compare him to Derek Jeter, so I went ahead and did a comparison of Jeter and Henry, who incidentally both finished the same level at the same age. Eerily similar. After looking at the lines, I know it is really too soon to proclaim Henry as anything more than a similar player at the same stage (no guarantee he even stays at SS or develops as Jeter did), but I haven't seen him go in any ML drafts yet. Does he stay at SS?

Henry (will be 20yo on May 31)
2005 R: .249/.333/.381 3 HR 17 RBI 17 SB 17 BB 31 K 181 AB (Height 6’3 210 lbs)

Jeter (as a 19 yo at same level in 1992)
.202/.312/.343 3 HR 25 RBI 2 SB 19/36 BB/K 173 AB

another similarity is that Jeter is listed as 6'3 195 pounds...

Henry 6'3 210 pounds
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:47 am

I'm not sure, but it sounds like Henry might actually have better upside than Jeter did when he was a prospect -- and your stat lines and listed weights seem to show that a little. I could be wrong on that of course -- and also, upside does not equal actual, realized MLB results.

FWIW, I have Henry in 2 deep dynasty leagues so far -- 15-man minors w/ 20+ teams -- but then again, one could probably argue that I'm being a bit of a homer for going w/ Henry ;) -- even though I have never owned more than 1 Yankee player at a time in normal size leagues. :D
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby hybrid » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:57 am

A lot of comparisons get thrown around to much with out a shred of real factual/evidence to them. I'm guessing that wherever you heard the Henry/Jeter comparison got its start from both being SS's in the Yanks systems.

Though really I don't see them having a great comparison at all. Less then 200 AB's really isn't enough to compare any prospects, and Jeter was actually a year younger in those stats. Henry is more of a raw prospect then Jeter was, as Henry was a two sport star in baseball - basketball. His potential is very good, higher then Jeters IMO, but the chances of him reaching it aren't that high. Henry is already a better physical speciment then Jeter, when Jeter was drafted he was more 6'2" 175 or so. Also Henry is viewed as eventually moving to CF, he doesn't have the strongest arm but defiantly has the speed to play center.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball