Advice: Head to Head Daily Lineup Changes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Advice: Head to Head Daily Lineup Changes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice: Head to Head Daily Lineup Changes

Postby captain canuck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:38 am

Is there much difference between a Head to Head League with Daily as opposed to Weekly Lineup changes?

Different strategy?

Alot more time involved?

Thanks.
captain canuck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smooth » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:52 am

The difference is for a weekly league, you make a lineup and leave it alone for the week. In a daily league, you can make changes to each day's lineup to fill in for guys with days off or bad matchups, etc. Daily lineup changes require more time and dedication.
Smooth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Third Day » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:54 am

The daily time commitment for a daily league is is obviously more because you will adjusting your roster on a daily basis. In a weekly league, on the day before your line-ups are due, you will be spending a lot of time planning out your moves for an entire week. I've never played a weekly league so I'll leave the statagy discussions to others. I like daily leagues better because my long term planning skills aren't the best: I would rather make last minute changes every day.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:14 am

Weekly lineups are more strategic. Daily lineups are more time consuming.

The only positive to daily lineups is injuries don't hurt as much. In weekly lineups if a guy gets hurt on Monday he's in your lineup giving 0 production all week. Since we switched to weekly the game has been much better so I much prefer it overall.

It mostly comes down to how you utilize your bench. In daily lineups you usually have one utility guy on your bench that you try to sub in whenever one of your other hitters has a day off. You carry a few extra pitchers and you swap in whomever is starting on a give day or you go a bit heavier on RP since you only need a few slots of SP's. In rare cases you might have a guy from a hitters park that you only play at home or platoon guys that you sub out based on who they play. There aren't any real choices involved you just stick in the appropriate person every day.

Weekly has the same basic strategies but you have to make harder decisions because they stick for a full week. Do I play my good SP who has 1 start or my mediocre one that has 2 starts. Do I play my Coors hitter who has 4 home games or my balanced guy. Do I play my platoon guy this week or sit him because the team is facing 3 lefty starters.

Finally the last advantage to weekly is it removes pitcher zerging(picking up FA pitchers and starting them then droping them and repeating so you get 10+ starts a week). At first we tried to stop it with an inning limit but then people just saved up innings for their tough weeks and zerged pitchers those weeks so it really didn't work. With weekly lineups pitcher cycling mostly goes away.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Third Day » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:17 am

Ender wrote:Weekly lineups are more strategic. Daily lineups are more time consuming.

The only positive to daily lineups is injuries don't hurt as much. In weekly lineups if a guy gets hurt on Monday he's in your lineup giving 0 production all week. Since we switched to weekly the game has been much better so I much prefer it overall.

It mostly comes down to how you utilize your bench. In daily lineups you usually have one utility guy on your bench that you try to sub in whenever one of your other hitters has a day off. You carry a few extra pitchers and you swap in whomever is starting on a give day or you go a bit heavier on RP since you only need a few slots of SP's. In rare cases you might have a guy from a hitters park that you only play at home or platoon guys that you sub out based on who they play. There aren't any real choices involved you just stick in the appropriate person every day.

Weekly has the same basic strategies but you have to make harder decisions because they stick for a full week. Do I play my good SP who has 1 start or my mediocre one that has 2 starts. Do I play my Coors hitter who has 4 home games or my balanced guy. Do I play my platoon guy this week or sit him because the team is facing 3 lefty starters.

Finally the last advantage to weekly is it removes pitcher zerging(picking up FA pitchers and starting them then droping them and repeating so you get 10+ starts a week). At first we tried to stop it with an inning limit but then people just saved up innings for their tough weeks and zerged pitchers those weeks so it really didn't work. With weekly lineups pitcher cycling mostly goes away.
I ask this with the greatest of respect: is zerg a real word? :-?
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:07 pm

heh, no its a gaming term that just sort of slipped out.

"To "zerg", a verb denoting the use of mass numbers to achieve an objective, has become a widely accepted term in a variety of other games, including Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, Dark Age of Camelot, and other multiplayer games."
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby JoeyRoland » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Hey Capt Canuck,

Just a quick question, are there transaction limitations? If not, you're going to get ZERGED! ;-D

If there is a ceiling on the amount of transactions, generally speaking, manager's can adjust their lineups daily for strategic match-ups but not necessarily have to fear the one prick who picks up two pitchers a day.

So, more than the time consumption on the part of your fellow managers, I'd worry more about the transaction limit or Maximum Innings pitched limit.

:-)
Nick Markakis: Greek God of Hits
JoeyRoland
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:57 pm

to me the biggest difference is that daily leagues favor people who can access the internet whilst at work. those are the people that will scoop up all the prime free agents, new closers, etc. i dont think it takes more time to do a weekly league, but you need to spend time managing it on a daily basis.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers