Drafting advice strategy for very Deep League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting advice strategy for very Deep League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting advice strategy for very Deep League

Postby captain canuck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:20 am

I am partaking in a 20 team mixed league snake draft with 25 man rosters.

Question: What strategy should I use when drafting? With this deep a league, is there any positions I should zero in on before others?

Thanks.
captain canuck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:29 am

Take the best players available for 15 rounds & trade any overflow at a positon (if any) for roster fill-ins later in the draft (or after if there are no trades during your draft).
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby Jmar » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:18 pm

we're having this discussion on the "BIG keeper league" post. i'm asking the same questions and leaning towards hording pitchers.
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:21 pm

Try to focus on speed/power guys early on. SPs here and there. I would punt SV and pick up solid MRs also. Fish around for closers once the season starts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Drafting advice strategy for very Deep League

Postby stevethumb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:41 pm

captain canuck wrote:I am partaking in a 20 team mixed league snake draft with 25 man rosters.

Question: What strategy should I use when drafting? With this deep a league, is there any positions I should zero in on before others?

Thanks.
...using only 66% of available ML players doesnt seem that deep to me, i don't think your strategy would alter dramatically from any 10 team single league
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Take safe picks in the first 10 rounds and then high upside guys afterwards. Don't expect to get great value on many players, its just hard to hold off for value on guys in that large of a league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Drafting advice strategy for very Deep League

Postby swyck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:37 pm

stevethumb wrote:
captain canuck wrote:I am partaking in a 20 team mixed league snake draft with 25 man rosters.

Thanks.
...using only 66% of available ML players doesnt seem that deep to me, i don't think your strategy would alter dramatically from any 10 team single league

How do you figure? A 10 team league with a typical 23 man roster is less then half the size of the deeper league. You have to change your thinking if only to be aware of how deep you need to look at each position, and adjusting your expectations of where players will be taken. Someone that's a 12th rounder in a 10 team league will be gone by the 6th.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:22 pm

let's say you are in a 10 team 23 man single (AL) league...you are using 230 players out of a possible 350 players (14X25) that is 65%..in a 20 tm 25 man mixed league you are using 500 players out of a possible 750 (30X25) that is 66%...no difference in depth and i would characterize both leagues as average and not deep...in a 20 teamer mixed and 10 team single you are still leaving a lot of MLers in the pool..not enough difference to alter basic strategy....and that 12th rounder who goes in the 6th round is still the #120th player taken --- 10 team leaguethe last pick in the 12th round is pick #120 and in a 20 team league the last player taken in the 6th rd is pick #120..no difference...the # of names on your depth chart is the only difference in the 2 leagues NOT any strategy
Last edited by stevethumb on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby garf112 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:29 pm

stevethumb wrote:let's say you are in a 10 team 23 man single (AL) league...you are using 230 players out of a possible 350 players (14X25) that is 65%..in a 20 tm 25 man mixed league you are using 500 players out of a possible 750 (30X25) that is 66%...no difference in depth and i would characterize both leagues as average and not deep...in a 20 teamer mixed and 10 team single you are still leaving a lot of MLers in the pool..not enough difference to alter basic strategy

So, because you play AL or NL only leagues, you don't think this is a deep league. But to this guy, and to many others that play 12 team mixed leagues, this is a deep league. Telling him that this wouldn't change his strategy from a 10 team AL only league, when he has never played in a 10 team AL only league is not helpful. Could you explain your strategy for your AL-only league? Is it much different than if you play a 12 team mixed league? I realize it is, but I want you to see where the original poster is coming from.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:33 pm

garf112 wrote:
stevethumb wrote:let's say you are in a 10 team 23 man single (AL) league...you are using 230 players out of a possible 350 players (14X25) that is 65%..in a 20 tm 25 man mixed league you are using 500 players out of a possible 750 (30X25) that is 66%...no difference in depth and i would characterize both leagues as average and not deep...in a 20 teamer mixed and 10 team single you are still leaving a lot of MLers in the pool..not enough difference to alter basic strategy

So, because you play AL or NL only leagues, you don't think this is a deep league. But to this guy, and to many others that play 12 team mixed leagues, this is a deep league. Telling him that this wouldn't change his strategy from a 10 team AL only league, when he has never played in a 10 team AL only league is not helpful. Could you explain your strategy for your AL-only league? Is it much different than if you play a 12 team mixed league? I realize it is, but I want you to see where the original poster is coming from.
...i am sorry if i can across as snippy but the basic strategy in the 2 leagues does not change..you still make your depth charts (less names obviously in the 10 man league) and look for value when your pick comes .. the depth is percentage wise the same
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers