Mike Gonzalez: Closer Extraordinaire? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates

Mike Gonzalez: Closer Extraordinaire?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby whoson1st0 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm

OK Buc fans, I know Gonzo is being listed as the closer this year but there are also a few other guys in the mix...

What are the chances Gonzo starts the year as closer? And how short will his leash be?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JROCK2008 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 pm

You don't think he will be traded? It sounds to me like it is just a matter of time. Imagine that, get an above average player and move him. Dumb.
JROCK2008
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:09 am

JROCK2008 wrote:You don't think he will be traded? It sounds to me like it is just a matter of time. Imagine that, get an above average player and move him. Dumb.

It's not dumb at all...it would be smart if DL wasn't such a buffoon.

This "above average guy" is only being used 35 times out of 162 games. Meanwhile, the Pirates have a guy (Torres) who can do almost as good a job.

Guess what...I would take a hitter for Gonzalez RIGHT NOW. That hitter can help my team score runs 155 times a year and give another decent reliever more chance to save games. Let's face it - the Pirates have no offensive ability outside of Bay. Gonzo's trade value may never be higher since he was perfect in saves last year, and in a few years he'll demand so much money in free agency that the Bucs won't be able to keep him. Thus is the plight of a small market team.

Yes, he's a good pitcher and he's fun to watch, but given the sorry state of the Pirates' offense, I would have traded him for LaRoche in a heartbeat.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
JROCK2008 wrote:You don't think he will be traded? It sounds to me like it is just a matter of time. Imagine that, get an above average player and move him. Dumb.

It's not dumb at all...it would be smart if DL wasn't such a buffoon.

This "above average guy" is only being used 35 times out of 162 games. Meanwhile, the Pirates have a guy (Torres) who can do almost as good a job.

Guess what...I would take a hitter for Gonzalez RIGHT NOW. That hitter can help my team score runs 155 times a year and give another decent reliever more chance to save games. Let's face it - the Pirates have no offensive ability outside of Bay. Gonzo's trade value may never be higher since he was perfect in saves last year, and in a few years he'll demand so much money in free agency that the Bucs won't be able to keep him. Thus is the plight of a small market team.

Yes, he's a good pitcher and he's fun to watch, but given the sorry state of the Pirates' offense, I would have traded him for LaRoche in a heartbeat.
Plus isn't he about to hit arbitration and get a huge bump in salary.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby RC21 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm

;-D Finally the Pirates got this deal done, pending physicals. Mike Gonzalez did a fine job last year but it was time to sell high on him. Closers are generally overrated anyway. I believe Oakland has proven that you can trade a proven closer and make a capable closer out of a setup guy. LaRoche will give us a little punch in the lineup and provide some protection for Bay.

Does this mean Capps will get a shot at closing?
RC21
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates