Edwin Encarnacion....thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edwin Encarnacion....thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edwin Encarnacion....thoughts?

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:06 pm

Guys, curious to get your thoughts on Edwin Encarnacion. I am playing in a keeper league in the first year, and I'm thinking of targetting him as my 3rd baseman. The problem is that it's only a 10 team league, and 3rd base is ridiculously deep. Do you think he will produce enough this year to justify taking him? Great hitters park and he tends to hit quite a few fly balls.....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:19 pm

In a 10 team league I'd say no, not as your starter. He may do OK this year, but that's chancy. 3B is deep and he probably wont produce as a top 10 3B.

If you have some bench space, grabbing some prospects late in a draft is a good idea.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Good deep sleeper maybee
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chris8 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm

I have him as my CI in a 16-team league. I think that's the sort of value he'll produce this year.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:02 am

chris8 wrote:I have him as my CI in a 16-team league. I think that's the sort of value he'll produce this year.

Agreed. I grabbed him as my backup 3B in a 16 team dynasty league. Unless you keep a lot of players or have a deep bench, he isn't worth drafting this year in a 10 team league until the end of the draft. You've got to focus on this year, and Edwin won't be a top 10 3B this year.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:05 am

yeah... decent backup in a league that shallow... for your last pick... but people look at his numbers from last year and are not impressed, though he could hit 30 bombs this year... at worst he will be Joe Crede... and nobody owns Joe Crede in a 10 team league
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:14 am

How many keepers for next year? I'd say that's the key question. If it's something small like 5 or even 10 players I'd say he probably won't put up those types of numbers and you should focus on a player who can help now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:39 am

slomo007 wrote:How many keepers for next year? I'd say that's the key question. If it's something small like 5 or even 10 players I'd say he probably won't put up those types of numbers and you should focus on a player who can help now.

That's a good point Mo. I think this kid is going to be a good player in a good park, so I'm trying to jump on him early, but I think I might be a year or two early on this one.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:56 am

RynMan wrote:
slomo007 wrote:How many keepers for next year? I'd say that's the key question. If it's something small like 5 or even 10 players I'd say he probably won't put up those types of numbers and you should focus on a player who can help now.

That's a good point Mo. I think this kid is going to be a good player in a good park, so I'm trying to jump on him early, but I think I might be a year or two early on this one.

I think I agree - in a 10-team league, I might grab him as a deep sleeper to keep if you keep a lot, but I highly doubt he should be a starter in a 10-teamer... like you said, a year or two early.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:46 am

Ever hear the story of Dallas McPhearson in 2005

Pass..

Now, I like Encarnacion better than Zimmerman for this year, but I can't see him cracking the top 10 over the next two years.
I would pass for now and try and pick him up cheaply next season after he disappoints. Cincy re-signed Aurila, cus they were worried about Encarnacion for this season.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers