BIG keeper league draft coming up ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BIG keeper league draft coming up ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BIG keeper league draft coming up ...

Postby Jmar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:28 pm

18 teams. 5x5 head to head. 1st year of our keeper league. The draft is set for late march. R, SB, OBP, HR, RBI, W, S, ERA, WHIP, K-B. We also draft 3 minor leaguers.

I've drawn the 18th and final pick. I'm hoping Beltran or Cabrera are still on the board. Hoping to follow that up with Peavy or Halladay.

Who would you guys target?
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knicks4ever » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:36 pm

there is no way cabrera will be there, i think peavy would be a nice pick there but halladay shouldnt go that high. I think Utley could be a very good pick there if he is still around then. Utley and Peavy would be a great combo if u can get them there, however im not sure either of them will still be there
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jmar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Cabrera actually went 16th in our league last year (not keeper). so i'm hoping Florida's dump will push him down a little more.

Do you think I should go with best bat/best pitcher with my first two picks? I mean, i know it depends on who is out there. Where would you go after Felix Hernandez in a league like this?
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby klvrdude » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:01 pm

Jmar wrote:Cabrera actually went 16th in our league last year (not keeper). so i'm hoping Florida's dump will push him down a little more.

Do you think I should go with best bat/best pitcher with my first two picks? I mean, i know it depends on who is out there. Where would you go after Felix Hernandez in a league like this?

18th, that's a tough spot. I think taking the top hitter adn SP would be a sound decision. And I'm sorry to agree Knick4ever, but there is no way Cabrera will drop that far in a keeper league... no way.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wharton93 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 pm

There are a lot of quality SPs this year, and a number of young one..i wouldn't break the bank to spend a 2nd round pick...19th overall, on a SP.

As for Felix..meh..there's alot of young players to get, I wouldn't reach for anybody necessarily--they'll be something later. You are better off spending time finding the young kid sleeper types that are available in the latter rounds.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby klvrdude » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:25 am

Wharton93 wrote:There are a lot of quality SPs this year, and a number of young one..i wouldn't break the bank to spend a 2nd round pick...19th overall, on a SP.

As for Felix..meh..there's alot of young players to get, I wouldn't reach for anybody necessarily--they'll be something later. You are better off spending time finding the young kid sleeper types that are available in the latter rounds.

I have never done a draft with this many teams, so I don't know the exact dynamics, but I think Jmar waiting until their 3/4 pick is too late (the 54th/55th overall). You may not have a top 15 hitter, but at least you'll have a chance for a top 5 pitcher.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jmar » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 am

Maybe even two pitchers? who knows. Load up on one or the other. is balance possible with 18 teams or will that come down to luck? it's a savage league. is Peavy Holladay better than Peavey Matsui or Jones? probably not. I'm not crazy about the 18th pick in a league this large.
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Coolest1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:35 am

Wow 18 teams!

If you can get Peavy, take him. I'm thinking the dynamics of this many teams means a few more pitchers drafted first round. And a lot will go in the second and third rounds. The idea of going SP,SP isn't a bad one since this is H2H. You would probably end up with a large pitching advantage. The question is how well you can draft hitters in rounds 3-5. You really need to be flexible since its hard to predict how this draft would go. With that said I'd probably take best SP and Hitter available and would look toward position scarcity a lot more.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=230774

-- A Vindicated White Sox Fan --
Coolest1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jmar » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 pm

18 teams makes kind of a mess. it's cool though because you have to know about bench guys and backups. you have to start someone is only going to get 300 ABs all year. We had 16 last year and Randy Winn & Ryan Howard's big 2nd halves put me into 2nd place. so that's what it comes down to.

still, if Peavy's gone I'm taking Holladay. remember, keeper league. I like him. and toronto. Pitching kills in H2H.

maybe i should horde pitching. after the top 20 bats it plateaus for a good long while.
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers