Drafting no starting pitching?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting no starting pitching??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting no starting pitching??

Postby Cobra_Kai » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:40 pm

I'm in a 12 team 5 x 5, etc.

I won last year, due to a couple key guys really stepping up (thank you Andruw). I was thinking about strategy for this year, and I was wondering how people feel about forgoing SP entirely for RP. The more I think about it, the better I feel. I mean, if I could spend my earlier draft picks on solid offense, then pick up quality RP, I think I might run away with it. I'm envisioning a team killing in offense, dominating the ratios, and performing moderatly well in wins, saves, k's.

Just wondering if anyone has done this in the past, how it's worked out, etc.

My other thought was that I'd like to draft some SP, then use them to trade away for offense since guys routinely over-value pitching.

Thoughts?

edited because I'm a moron.
Last edited by Cobra_Kai on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:45 pm

I just don't see how you can stay competitive in K's, Wins. I mean you will be fine in WHIP/ERA/SAVES but you are in essense punting two cats I would think.

If your league used k/9 instaed of K's then yeah I say it makes sense, but i just don't see you pulilng more than 2-3 points in both those cats, with taht in mind you are going to have to stay 11-12 in all the other cats to make up the difference and even then it may be closer than you can make up.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:46 pm

I kinda agree. I am building my offense before pitching because pitching seems to be a crap shoot latley
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BGbootha » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Its one thing to go with offense first (I whole heartedly agree) most theories support this LIMA for example.

But going with NO starting pitching seems like a mistake.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm

If you don't truly punt SP, than I think you'll be fine. Lots of quality SPs can be found late this year, so if you ignore starting pitching you'll be alright.

Don't forget though, upper tier closers go fairly early too...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:53 pm

BGbootha wrote:Its one thing to go with offense first (I whole heartedly agree) most theories support this LIMA for example.

But going with NO starting pitching seems like a mistake.

Yea I agree. So far my team is.

Ichiro, Pods, Carlos Lee, H. Matsui, Konerko, Barmes

So I'm pretty excited about my Offense at the moment
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:00 pm

It works better in H2H than roto obviously. We had a couple people go heavier RP with just a couple starters last year but it ultilmately didn't work that well for them. You just lose too many points in the K's and W's in the long run and it just takes one bad outing by a RP to really ruin your ERA/WHIP.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:05 pm

I wouldn't recommend doing something too drastic or unbalanced. It's nice to focus on hitters and grab a P or two here and there. Draft does not win you the league. I have yet to see someone win our league from the draft. A successful draft helps you get off on the right track as you eventually replace your parts during the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Ender wrote:It works better in H2H than roto obviously. We had a couple people go heavier RP with just a couple starters last year but it ultilmately didn't work that well for them. You just lose too many points in the K's and W's in the long run and it just takes one bad outing by a RP to really ruin your ERA/WHIP.

I don't even think it works well for H2H. If you're pretty much just running RP's all it will take is one of them to get shelled to send your ERA and WHIP through the roof that week. If you don't have any SP's that can eat up some innings you probably won't get enough IPs to bring those ratios down by the end of the week.

I firmly believe in finding a good balance. Plus it seems to me with relievers there are always cheap closers that emerge on the wire when the injury bug rears its ugly head. You can put together a decent SP core during the draft with minimal attention put to RP and make up for it later as the season goes on.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Thursday » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:56 pm

It's ironic to me that you brag about being a god among insects in your league, and then go for a hair-brained idea like forgoing SP's entirely.

Last I heard, and experienced, a balanced team wins 100% of the time. You wouldn't really stay competitive in wins and K's, like your vision is somehow giving you. You play roto? Not a chance. You'd be at the bottom of two categories, essentially throwing away points. A large error people make when cooking up these types of stretegies is that they assume everything always stays the same. Yeah, batters are pretty consistent year in year out, but they aren't always the same. Same goes for your RPs, their production isn't the same from year to year. Also, in taking offense first, you'll be missing out on some of the best RP's that there are.

Take starting pitchers. You'll need to balance out your team in order to win your league. If this strategy worked, it would have been figured out already and used heavily.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers