MLB charging $2+ Mil for fantasy baseball licenses? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB charging $2+ Mil for fantasy baseball licenses?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby glcmustliveon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:25 pm

My stance was that the MLB is making a HUGE mistake in pushing out some fantasy leaguers, I didnt say they didnt have the right, because frankly I dont know if they do, but what I am saying is they are going to lose more in the long run by pushing out fantasy players who watch more baseball than any other group. Understand?

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:42 pm

I think we're all looking at this from the wrong perspective.

This deal won't effect the majority of us who play CBS, Yahoo! or ESPN leagues, because as was mentioned, it's mere pocket change to them and probably won't affect profitability by much at all.

In fact, CBS, Yahoo! and ESPN most likely love the $2 million dollar fee. It effectively wiped out all of their competition from smaller sites forcing those fantasy players to seek new providers. The only ones that are left are CBS, Yahoo! and ESPN because they can foot the bill so easily.

This is an underhanded practive of establishing a fantasy baseball cartel by restricting the ease of entry into the market.

Maybe this deal will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and congress will finally step in and eliminate MLB's presumed exemption from anti-trust laws once and for all!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:09 pm

glcmustliveon wrote:My stance was that the MLB is making a HUGE mistake in pushing out some fantasy leaguers, I didnt say they didnt have the right, because frankly I dont know if they do, but what I am saying is they are going to lose more in the long run by pushing out fantasy players who watch more baseball than any other group. Understand?

yah, i get it. and i got it before. and like i said before, it's exactly the same argument made re: music and napster. this is just from a random article i found on google:

Until 2004, the last time the industry saw increased sales was when the original Napster exploded onto the scene. Napster was the vehicle for millions of pirated songs, but it also helped bring focus from many consumers onto the music market, and more than one study showed at the time that Napster users bought more CDs than non-users.

"Because Napster users are music enthusiasts, it's logical to believe that they are more likely to purchase now and increase their music spending in the future," Jupiter analyst Aram Sinnreich said in a statement in association to a study it released in July of 2000.

it's the same thing.

and the case for the consequences of this is being overstated a bit. because i don't think the $2MM royalty will stay constant after the intellectual property rights will be established. and you have to consider a provider's work arounds. to the extent that there is a protectable interest, it probably lies with the publicity rights of the players. so a provider could probably provide a website that tracked the stats of, "RHP, Bos, #38" and give a feature that you could name your players and, well, if you chose to call him Curt Schilling, who are they to complain.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:17 pm

koufax57 wrote:The bottom line: If the Cafe were to decide to set up a bunch of fantasy leagues so that all of us could compete against each other (which would be cool), and charged a fee to cover costs, plus a little bit extra for their efforts, MLBAM could legitimately swoop in and shut it down.

Not saying that it would be worth their effort to do so, but given the stance they are taking, it would be well within their rights to do so.

Tell me how that strengthens the fantasy baseball industry. Tell me how that makes any logical sense.

Bob

Charging a fee is irrelevant. Yahoo doesn't charge a fee. If the players' names or numbers are used, then the Cafe would have to pay. Besides, this site would be making money by the ad revenue created by the hits.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thaklanksta » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm

And MLB wonders why they lose fans!

I'm surprised there havent been lawsuits filed in the realm of

"MLB players stats forced me to lose my league"
"MLB players stats forced a divorce"

I mean If they are charging for rights to public information of their players then they can be responsible for WRONG predictions of their players. Its not like nany mcfee wants to know a jock size.
She only wants to know if he can swing a big stick on the diamond!

Fantasy sports keeps the love of the fans in the game for some, especially the borderline fan. Its the easiest way to break a fan in IMO.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers