encarcion or granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

encarcion or granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Two players, which is Granderson? Guess the other player who had one of these stat lines at AAA in 2004.

.288 8HR 51RBI 75R 16SB 10CS 423AB
.290 15HR 65RBI 79R 22SB 6CS 445AB

You can try and sway people towards liking Granderson, but your not looking at the whole picture. First off Sizemore was coming off a serious injury that made him get off to a slow start. Secondly, he has better tools across the board over Granderson, making solid contact is one ... I already pointed out Granderson's amazingly high BABIP that he would never reproduce. Third, Sizemore was 2 years younger and still growing into his body and finding his power stroke, which he showed the following year. It's a bad comparison as the stats you listed never tell the full story, Sizemore is and was a better prospect by quite a margin.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

encarcion or granderson

Postby toledobrad » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:24 pm

I've watched a lot of Granderson at the AAA level, and while I do like him, he is a bit overrated. I think he'll be a servicable outfielder but far from all star caliber. I'm thinking .260/.270, 15, 60, 10.
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
toledobrad Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:31 pm

I know Im taking a chace on him in larger leagues. If he has a 1 in 5 shot of becoming a Sizemore type player, he is well worth the risk.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Re: encarcion or granderson

Postby fraquar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:48 am

angelfan114 wrote:what player do you think has a better year this year and career

This year Encarnacion (if your talking about Edwin).

Granderson has a few things stacked up against him this year.
1) They are asking him to hit leadoff (which he hasn't done in the Minors for any length of time) and this will also compromise his ability to hit for power somewhat.
2) Leyland's infatuation with Logan's speed
3) Leyland wanting to get Young in better shape to play some outfield - with the logjam at DH/1B and the Tiger's refusal to relieve it through trade - can't say I blame him though I wouldn't put a glove on Young's hands if they paid me to.
4) COPA is not a friendly park in regards to fantasy production. 2b's and 3b's (which Granderson should pile up in COPA) carry a reduced value in fantasy terms.

Granderson has one thing going for him this year; he's 1 of only 2 true left-handed hitters on the roster (Pena being the other). I'm a Tiger fan and I still can't believe they haven't addressed the lack of L/H hitting on the roster. Granderson is going to need to show he can hold down the leadoff spot from jumpstreet and stay hot early to make the job his fulltime. Encarnacion (Edwin) should have no problems in regards to having to potentially share playing time.

Tiger's Projected Starting Lineup
C - Pudge (R/H hitter)
1B - Shelton (R/H hitter)
2B - Polanco (R/H hitter)
3B - Inge (R/H hitter)
SS - Guillen (Switch hitter) Can this guy stay healthy enough though?
LF - Monroe (R/H hitter)
CF - Granderson (L/H hitter) in position battle with Logan (Switch hitter)
RF - Maggs (R/H hitter)
DH - Young (Switch hitter)

They really need Granderson to be productive this year and he'll need to be to ensure regular playing time.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:29 pm

My thoughts on Granderson are starting to run rampant throughout the cafe! Good thing now that I have him in all of my money leagues. THe first auction (in Feb) I got him for $5 in a 16 team mixed. Recently Ive seen him go for $13 in a 14 team auction. Value keeps increasing...
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby garf112 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I ended up with both on my team, which is nice. I think Encarnacion will be the better of the two both for this year and his career. That is not a knock on Granderson. Encarnacion will beat Granderson in HR, RBI and BA. Encarnacion takes the slight edge, but if you need runs and sb, Granderson is not a terrible choice.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Both have had nice springs (edwin is having an amazing spring). I think you will find that Edwin Encarnacion is going for the same rate, if not more, than Curtis Granderson.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Tiex » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:56 pm

I have both in my team but i like edwin
would you rate encarnacion much higher then zimmerman- im in a league counting e's to and i no zimmerman is better defensivly. I read somewhere that zim will have good power #'s (17-25 hr) because he had a "hitch" in his swing in college and minors but he eliminated it from his swing with the help of hitting coaches. It shows with the 7 hr this spring.so what im sayin is would u take Zim over encanacion in my situation???
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball