Juan Benched!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Benched!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lepke » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:51 pm

(Hijacking this thread! :-D )
Heres a question for all of you that I've never understood myself --

Put yourself in Juan's shoes... The Rangers trade you to another team. Isn't that a slap in the face? It would be to me. Why would you want to use your NTC and stay with a team that wanted to get rid of you?? I'd want to go help the team that wanted me win.

^^^ In any case, not just this one -- Basketball, Hockey..whatever.
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mrmarley » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:58 pm

Lepke wrote:(Hijacking this thread! :-D )

Put yourself in Juan's shoes... The Rangers trade you to another team. Isn't that a slap in the face? It would be to me. Why would you want to use your NTC and stay with a team that wanted to get rid of you?? I'd want to go help the team that wanted me win.

I don't think this is true in Juan's case, but in a lot of cases, I would imagine it's not all about the players themselves so much as their family. Either they don't want to have to move, or the player's don't want to be away from the family for an entire season if they don't move with the player, I would guess.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zEli173 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:08 pm

tal1286 wrote:So is he benched or not? All i've heard is people giving him or the rangers grief over this thing and no one has actually confirmed it. This is pissing me off cause i've been thinking of trading him and now i have to IF its true. Will someone help me out please?

Well Rotoworld is now saying that Juan is in the lineup instead of Everett because ththe Rangers are facing a leftie. But Rotoworld is still the only place I know of picking up on this story.

I too would like some better confirmation because I will - hopefully- dump him before the story is all over the place and there's a note attached to him on Yahoo (that's where we play my league).

Is anyone watching the Rangers game? Anyone have any knowledge?
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danks81 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:18 pm

DGroundhog wrote:Juan isn't the first to use this clause, he won't be the last. Because he isn't white, everybody wants to trash him.

You're an absolute moron for bringing race into this. Juan Gonzalez has a history of being a selfish player that's why people like me are happy to see him benched. Had it been Rafael Palmerio, A-Rod, Bernie Williams, or any one of the team oriented minorities, we wouldn't mind. Likewise if it was a selfish, arrogant white player such as Jeff Kent or Scott Rolen, we would be for it as well.

Fools like you bring up race in places it doesn't belong. It hurts the overall drive for racial equality and sensitivity in this country. Open your eyes, ears, and mind pal.
Last edited by Danks81 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:19 pm

He probably won't be benched as in not starting games at all but he is certainly going to lose signifigant playing time. The Rangers are out of it and have no reason to start someone not part of their future plans over youngsters that can get major league experience. I'd expect his playing time to gradually dwindle as the season goes on.

Bottom line, is you can't count him to start 5 or 6 games on a fantasy team anymore. Offload him while you can.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Danks81 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:20 pm

Lepke wrote:(Hijacking this thread! :-D )

I don't know Juan's reasoning, but I do know that he would have to pay higher taxes if he was employed in Canada.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:44 pm

Danks81 wrote:Fools like you bring up race in places it doesn't belong.

Go ahead and bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist Danks, that's the solution.

The bottom line is a player of color has less margin of error before the fans jump on him. Turn your blind eye to it if you think it solves the problem, but it won't.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Danks81 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:52 pm

Crying "Wolf!" when there is none is even worse. You are wrong plain and simple, this has nothing to do with race. Zip, zilch, zero!
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers