Juan Benched!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Benched!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Benched!?!?

Postby zEli173 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:30 pm

I am pissed if this is true. Do the board members think this is really gonna happen? If so, I'll look to move him asap. Didn't john Heart say the club would support him either way?

Now that Juan Gonzalez has rejected the trade to Montreal, the Rangers are giving some thought to benching him.
The Rangers really wanted to give Gonzalez's spot to Ryan Ludwick or Laynce Nix, but now the best they can do is get a look at Kevin Mench by sitting Gonzalez down. GM John Hart said the Rangers would not blackball Gonzalez, and still consider him a part of the team. But the Dallas Morning News says to look for the Rangers to severely restrict his playing time until rosters expand in September, at which time he may not play at all. Source: Dallas Morning News
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danks81 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:33 pm

I say good for Texas. They are trying to have a team first attitude, something which is foreign to Juan Gone.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:43 pm

I agree that it's a great move for Texas. Arrogant, selfish Juan Gone is now getting what he deserves for putting himself ahead of the team. He won't be able to put up great numbers on the year without the playing time and this will hurt his chances of getting a big contract next year. And what incentive does Texas have for leaving Juan in the lineup when they are out of the race and can use the chance to let their prospects find their major league footsteps? I would expect that he will eventually relent and accept this trade or one to another team.

If you're counting on Juan to be a big fantasy contributor the rest of the year, you're basically screwed. See if you can use his good current numbers to trade him for a decent outfielder.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:44 pm

Juan looks to be inthere at RF tonight. Everett is benched.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:45 pm

Probably only to give Everett a day off. Juan probably won't get anything close to full time playing time, so trade him ASAP for whatever you can get.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:55 pm

It's called a NO-TRADE clause. It was agreed to by both parties. It is often used as a bargaining chip, but is usually instituted to give a player a feeling of commitment and security. The Rangers committed to Juan, and are now trying to break that commitment. Why not rip on the Rangers for being schmucks and not holding up their end of the deal?

Juan isn't the first to use this clause, he won't be the last. Because he isn't white, everybody wants to trash him.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zEli173 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:05 pm

I've gotta agree with DGroundhog. Benching Juan should be viewed no diffferently than benching any player with 18 hr's and 50 rbi's; a team siimply would not do it unless there were off-field issues. His refusal to accept the trade is not a legitimate reason to sit him down, the Rangers made a commitment to him and should honor it. When you negotiate a contract, ALL the terms are bargained for. Juan gave up something for the right to refuse a trade, and now the Rangers are effectivley renegging and jeopardize his career (and my fantasy squad, hehe) in the process.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmarley » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:05 pm

DGroundhog wrote:It's called a NO-TRADE clause. It was agreed to by both parties. It is often used as a bargaining chip, but is usually instituted to give a player a feeling of commitment and security. The Rangers committed to Juan, and are now trying to break that commitment. Why not rip on the Rangers for being schmucks and not holding up their end of the deal?

I agree with this statement...can't be pissed at a player just because he's doing what he's contractually allowed to do, which is stay with the team, even if they don't want him there for the rest of the season, they gave him the no-trade clause, it's their own fault.

DGroundhog wrote:Juan isn't the first to use this clause, he won't be the last. Because he isn't white, everybody wants to trash him.

And as much as I agree with your first statement, I'll disagree just as much with you on this. It has nothing to do with race, it has to with attitude, and being in Detroit, we got to see enough of Juan's while he was here. Lots of fans just don't like him, plain and simple.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:16 pm

ACK! Now Everett is in CF.

Oh well. I benched him, started Huff. Hope it works out!

...and as a white person, I see many more non-white atheletes getting a much shorter leash than their white counter-parts. I'm not calling everyone racist, and I don't think it is a rampant, blatant issue. I think it is a more subtle thing. People tend to like others like them.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DanteNoX » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:38 pm

This is rediculous to say this shows Juan in a bad light. He is trying to stay with the team and players he has played with, instead of being traded off to another team. I applaud him for not allowing himself to be traded.
Yankees for life
DanteNoX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers