Draft Order Preference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Order Preference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thaklanksta » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:16 pm

giants! wrote:I want 1-2 as it guarantees a top 5 sp in the third round.

Agreed!
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:35 pm

1st pick, 2nd pick or last pick. I was fortunate to draw last pick in my 10 team money league. I'm hoping to nab two top of the line guys to start my team.

I don't like the middle picks at all this year. The player drafted at #7 is probably no better than the player I can get at #10-#12. Plus I get a better second round pick. I also agree that it is better to start runs, though you need to be careful of when you choose to start one. You shouldn't reach too soon. I could probably use more experience in getting the other drafters to do what I want since I rarely end up with a corner pick. Better go find some mocks... :-o
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 57)

Postby bleach168 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:18 am

Difference between Lidge and Isringhausen is about 50 K's. If Lidge gets drafted in the 4th and Izzy gets drafted in the 5th, that's pretty much even in my eyes. Izzy might even drop to 6th which would make him a better bargain than Lidge (if you want to take that risk)

However the person with the 12th pick in the 4th is not only getting the weakest of the 6 closers most likely, the next 5 picks are almost for sure guys that he still had his eyes on since none of those players are going to take another closer which he doesn't need anymore.

Sounds like a strong case for drafting in the middle and not at the bookends. If you are in the middle finishing up a run, the people who draft after you have the choice of overpaying for the next teir or trying to start a new run. If the latter, you can finish up their run when it comes around.

This does illustrate a good drafting strategy I have used in the past in which I'm close to the bookends. I always check to see what positions the bookend has and which ones he still needs. If I'm trying to choose between two players and, for example, one is a catcher and the bookend already has a catcher, then I make sure to draft the other guy as I know the catcher will be there in the next round.

also agree that it is better to start runs, though you need to be careful of when you choose to start one. You shouldn't reach too soon.

Right, what if you try to start a run but the others just ignore you. Then you've just overpayed for someone you could of had rounds later. Your priority should be helping yourself first, hurting others second.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:40 am

bleach168 wrote:
also agree that it is better to start runs, though you need to be careful of when you choose to start one. You shouldn't reach too soon.

Right, what if you try to start a run but the others just ignore you. Then you've just overpayed for someone you could of had rounds later. Your priority should be helping yourself first, hurting others second.

Isn't this true of any run though? Anyone could take Lidge in the 4th round hoping to start a run, but if nobody bites, you just overpaid. That can happen at any draft pick, not just the bookends, right?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 57)

Postby bleach168 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

Isn't this true of any run though? Anyone could take Lidge in the 4th round hoping to start a run, but if nobody bites, you just overpaid. That can happen at any draft pick, not just the bookends, right?

Yes, that's why you don't want to be the guy starting runs.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:42 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

yes, but his point is that that's why you shouldn't draft around the idea of starting a run but rather of picking the best available so that even if a run doesn't start, you still have made the right decision.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I just drafted a team in the second spot which was nice. I didn't have to choose between Arod and Pujols, I just took the leftovers and there is no one in the late first, early second round that interests me much.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jedimindtric » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:57 am

I like 1, 2, 11, or 12. I like 2 and 11 a bit better.
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers