UPDATED: Kyle Sleeth- Don't count him out just yet. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

UPDATED: Kyle Sleeth- Don't count him out just yet.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

UPDATED: Kyle Sleeth- Don't count him out just yet.

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:13 am

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Though many Tigers pitchers have already been here for several days in preparation for Spring Training, former first-round pick Kyle Sleeth probably owns the title for the longest stay. He's been working out here since last Spring Training.

Last year was a lost season for Sleeth, who underwent elbow surgery last June, but the work seems to be paying off. He said on Wednesday that he's been ahead of schedule in his rehab and has been throwing fastballs and changeups in bullpen sessions.

The 24-year-old right-hander hopes to be ready to pitch in time for the opening of the Minor League seasons, though that's not an official prognosis.

The Tigers are being understandably cautious in their handling of Sleeth, the third overall selection in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft. New pitching coach Chuck Hernandez, for one, has experience with the road back. He underwent similar surgery when he was a player.

Sleeth's only Minor League experience came in 2004, when he combined to go 8-8 with a 5.23 ERA in 23 starts for Class A Advanced Lakeland and Double-A Erie.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Last edited by Dannomyte on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks for the info. ;-D I have Sleeth as one of my minor leaguers and I haven't heard much news since his injury last year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:18 pm

People are really forgetting about Sleeth. His numbers pre-surgery weren't too impressive, but there is a good chance that was a result of his needing surgery since his velocity was supposedly down during that time.

Everyone knows about Zumaya and Verlander, but in terms of talent, Sleeth isn't too far behind them (but his ceiling is and always was a bit lower). TJ surgery is far from a career ender, so we may be seeing Sleeth in Detroit sometime in the second half of 2007.

I know all of these guys won't reach their potential, but a possible rotation including Bonderman, Verlander, Zumaya, Sleeth, and maybe Jordan Tata is pretty impressive to think about. They are all RHP so a free agent LHP or the possiblity that Ledezma, Maroth, or Robertson are still around would be nice as well.

Then a bullpen headed by setup men Humberto Sanchez and Fernando Rodney and closer Kevin Whelan isn't half bad in terms of potential.

I guess the question is which of these guys will pan out in the big leagues? That's just too much talent to not get some future production out of, but the previous regime (Randy Smith's) seemed to have an epidemic of major arm injuries (mostly the dreaded stuff-sapping shoulder injuries). I'll be wishing Sleeth an excellent recovery. He is far from a failed prospect at this point. He just took a slight detour.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Can anyone tell me anything new on Sleeth? I know he pitched June 6th in Lakeland and it didn't go to well but I haven't heard anything after that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Can anyone tell me anything new on Sleeth? I know he pitched June 6th in Lakeland and it didn't go to well but I haven't heard anything after that.

Last I heard was he was back on the DL with soreness in his shoulder.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Dannomyte wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Can anyone tell me anything new on Sleeth? I know he pitched June 6th in Lakeland and it didn't go to well but I haven't heard anything after that.

Last I heard was he was back on the DL with soreness in his shoulder.
That's what I was afraid of cause I hadn't seen any record of him pitching for the last 3 weeks. Thanks.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:36 pm

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060701&content_id=1533643&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det
Sleeth update: Former first-round pick Kyle Sleeth, whose comeback from Tommy John surgery hit a setback after two starts this summer for Class A Lakeland, threw an eight-minute bullpen session Friday and is scheduled to throw a 12-minute session Monday, according to Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand. He's trying to work his way back to game action after suffering forearm tightness last month.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:34 am

Kyle Sleeth is back to pitching in game action for one of the Tigers rookie league teams. He has pitched in 5 games so far and started 4 of them for the GCL Tigers.

Here are his stats since his return.

17.1 IP 3.63 ERA 22 H 7 ER 3 BB 17 K

His first few games were nothing more than an inning or 2. They've started stretching him out in his last 2 starts. Here are his lines from his last 2 games.

4 IP 2 H 1 ER 2 BB 7 K

6.1 IP 9 H 3 ER 0 BB 5 K

Hopefully Kyle will finally be healthy enough to make some noise in the minors for the Tigers.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:18 pm

From Baseball America

• Tigers righthander Kyle Sleeth, whose return from Tommy John surgery was slowed after two starts in June when he experienced tightness in his forearm, made his first start in the high Class A Florida State League since June 9. The 2003 first-round pick out of Wake Forest allowed four earned runs on three hits and three walks while striking out one over four innings of work against Sarasota. He had made five rehab appearances in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League in July, going 1-0, 3.63 with 17 strikeouts and three walks in 17 innings.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:50 am

Baby steps for Sleeth. Just pitching innings is more important than performance...for now. Should be no surprise that he struggled after moving up a level. I would be surprised if Lakeland wasn't the highest level he'll pitch at this season. They are not going to rush him.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers