Agent: Sammy wont suit up again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Agent: Sammy wont suit up again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:05 am

nuggets wrote:You probably wouldn't agree with my reasons. I think it's safe to so many strongly feel Arod is selfish and many don't. Maybe it's best to leave it at that, but here's the first two off the top of my head: Signing the Texas deal, leaving the M's and slapping the ball out of the glove.

TheYanks04, Was Sosa ever proven to have taken illegal perfomance enhancing drugs? Do you feel other players suspected of cheating are selfish (Babe Ruth, the original bat corker for one)

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

His selfishness had nothing to do with the roids (and least not directly). This is a guy that always swung for the fences, never would sacrifice, let his fielding go, never adjusted his stance, hit situationally, etc. He was solely concerned with running up his HR totals and with his image.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LiveForever » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:12 am

Byeeee Byeeee Sammy Sosaaaa. I always liked him more then McGwire for some reason. Now i feel cheated by the both of them. Looking back i definetly have a lot more respect for guys like Griffey, Frank Thomas, and ARod. Those are the best players of the 90's.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ActionHero » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:19 am

TheYanks04 wrote:If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

His selfishness had nothing to do with the roids (and least not directly). This is a guy that always swung for the fences, never would sacrifice, let his fielding go, never adjusted his stance, hit situationally, etc. He was solely concerned with running up his HR totals and with his image.

agree agree agree agree...
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 am

And to Arod being selfish...

I will set a first for me here and actually defend the fraud on this point. He has never shown anything to indicate selfishness to me on the field or otherwise.

Stuck up, yes. Phoney and transparent as glass, yes. A choker of the worst kind, yes. But he is not selfish and does not do things to hurt the team to prop himself up.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:17 am

nuggets wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Nice rhetoric but it doesn't help to prove anything. The same applies to ARod.

TheYanks04 wrote:His selfishness had nothing to do with the roids (and least not directly). This is a guy that always swung for the fences, never would sacrifice, let his fielding go, never adjusted his stance, hit situationally, etc. He was solely concerned with running up his HR totals and with his image.

Hmm, I think what Sammy's impression of what the fans wanted, what he should do for the game and what would make him the greatest player in own country's eyes was breaking the HR record. Chicks dig the long ball, it's America's impression of culture on Sammy Sosa. I doubt he or the people he associated with and listened to were concerned with things like RC/27.

TheYanks04 wrote: He has never shown anything to indicate selfishness to me on the field or otherwise.

Stuck up, yes. Phoney and transparent as glass, yes. But he is not selfish and does not do things to hurt the team to prop himself up.

All those things you mention about ARod have selfish implications. He slapped the ball out of the glove in a last ditch effort to not be a choker. That’s like knocking all the chess pieces of the chessboard just before one is in checkmate, how selfish is that?

Sammy never purposely hurt his team to prop himself up. I believe if he was intentionally using Roids and screwy bats that is a selfish act. I feel Arod’s selfishness is proven, while Sammy’s is misrepresented and/or unproven. Leaving a potentially great thing is Seattle, taking all that money knowing the rest of your team will suck as a result and trying for an MVP at the same time is quite selfish, more so that Sammy Sosa.

I obviously do not agree. First off, players leave for money all the time. Why pick on Arod? If Seattle needed or wanted him enough, they should have paid him. Is Arod greedy...absolutely. But being greedy and being a selfish ball player are not the same thing.

Clemens is a money grubber's money grubber. I do not think he is selfish. It is business and like anyone else, they go to the highest bidder. If someone offers you a 100% raise to dump your current employer all other things being equal, you take it. That is not being selfish. Arod owed Seattle nothing. Was he greedy going to a place like Texas where he had a limited chance to win...sure. Was he smart doing that...maybe yes, maybe no.

Slapping at a glove to help your team win is not selfish either. It may be a sort of cheap or wuss-like act, but he was trying to help his team win. Being a choker is just what he is and I doubt he was thinking..."slap at the ball to hide my chokeness". He was trying to dislodge the ball to help his team by getting on safely.

Sosa on the other hand was a guy that played to the media, cared only about hitting homers and his numbers. He never worked on his fielding, he never tried to take the extra base on hustle, he never sacrificed, he lost all speed as he muscled up on the roids, etc. The man was more concerned with his records and his homers and the Cubs actually winning a game was an after thought (if that). Whether the fans wanted that or not is moot. He was looking out for himself at the expense of any effort to win pennants.

Now maybe in fairness the attitude of the Tribune Corp sort of fostered this sort of thing as they are hardly the poster-boy for a winning attitude themselves. And I can see why maybe Sosa would take a "Well if they do not care about winning anything, then why should I" attittude. But I frankly think Sosa does not care about anything BUT Sosa and never has.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WittyC » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:56 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Sosa on the other hand was a guy that played to the media, cared only about hitting homers and his numbers. He never worked on his fielding, he never tried to take the extra base on hustle, he never sacrificed, he lost all speed as he muscled up on the roids, etc. The man was more concerned with his records and his homers and the Cubs actually winning a game was an after thought (if that). Whether the fans wanted that or not is moot. He was looking out for himself at the expense of any effort to win pennants.

This whole paragraph is complete fiction.

Say what you will bout Sosa, but anyone who saw him play knows the guy was all about hustle. He stretched singles into doubles a lot, and was actually pretty fast for someone his size.

As a fielder, Sosa was really under-rated. He had an excellent ability to get a good jump at Wrigley. He rarely laid out, but he was pretty adept at making the feet-first sliding catch.

I'd like to go on to say that it's complete BS to call Sosa selfish. Is there any team that wouldn't like to have a 60 homerun hitter? Even if his accomplishments benefitted his own standing in baseball history, they also helped the team. The Cubs sucked for most of while he was there because the Tribune wouldn't fork out the money to field a decent team to support him.

Lets keep in mind, the last time the Cubs made the postseason... Sosa was a key component of the offense.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers