Catcher Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catcher Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 am

What do you guys think of Buck from KC? He has nice power and a .245-.250 average. Those numbers are better then many.KC has improved and Buck could get a few more RBI chances .
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Re. Willingham, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he can take Olivo's place, as the latter has been underachieving for years now + the Marlins appear to be going with a youth movement.

I think Pierzynski is a bit undervalued this year. I know his BA wasn't that great last year, but prior to that he'd been around .280 - .300. He may find a way to combine power with BA this year and playing in that line-up & that home park won't hurt him, that's for sure.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JoeMoney19 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:45 pm

[quote="klvrdude"]I think Kendall will "bounce back" this year now that he has a year in the AL under his belt. I see his AVG adn OPS going back up, but his slugging will never be great....or even good....hopefully its mediocre.

And as long as we are throwing out names, I'll toss Ryan Doumit (PIT) into the mix ahead of both Estrada and McCann.[/quote]

Will Doumit have the job over Cota to start the season?
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:55 pm

[quote="BillyHallDisciple"]Re. Willingham, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he can take Olivo's place, as the latter has been underachieving for years now + the Marlins appear to be going with a youth movement.
quote]

Willingham will have a spot in the lineup but the question is whether its as C or LF. If he can't get the job done at C he will start at LF.

For what its worth he's listed at C on yahoo so he'll have that eligibility regardless of where he plays.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Catcher Rankings

Postby garf112 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Lime wrote:Insight please.

Victor Martinez CLE
Jason Varitek BOS
Joe Mauer MIN
Javy Lopez BAL
Jorge Posada NYY
Mike Piazza SD
Ramon Hernandez BAL
Kenji Johjima SEA
Mike Lieberthal PHI
Bengie Molina TOR
Brian McCann ATL
Ivan Rodriguez DET
Johnny Estrada ARI
A.J. Pierzynski CWS
Jason Kendall OAK
Paul Lo Duca NYM

Who's too high. Who's too low. Who am I missing altogether.

Note that I'm basing these on the standard 5 offensive categories MINUS Average and PLUS On Base and Slugging Percentage. In other words this is a real league we're talking about. No shady and overused stats like batting average.

That's a very pretentious statement considering that most leagues still use batting average. More because of tradition than because it is a useful stat. I will say that our league is changing to OBP in 2007, but just wanted to point out that you shouldn't go around talking about who has a real league or not. (the only exception being a league with less than 10 teams, jk, that's my opinion.)

Anyway, regarding rankings.
I'd move Piazza and Lieberthal down a bit, and Pierzynski and Lo Duca up. In an OPS league Kendall is not worth much. Gotta have Barrett around where Ramon Hernandez is. Barajas should be up by McCann.
[/b]
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 pm

Yeah, LoDuca is too low. He is not spectacular in any sense, but you know what you are getting, which is a guy who will be a #5-10 C. I would take this over some of the more risky guys you have ranked ahead of him such as Johjima or McCann. Sure those guys have an upside that is a little better than Lo Duca, but why play with fire when they have a much bigger downside? Actually, this rationale on Lo Duca applies to Pierzynski as well.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:02 pm

Lieberthal is WAAAAY too high. Piazza is a little high. I'd put Molina up a couple spots. AJ is too low.

And for some reason i have a man crush on Hernandez so i'd put him in the 4th spot behind Matinez, Varitek and Mauer.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:08 pm

I'd put Doumit in there somewhere. He will qualify at C but play OF. Also, I heard Craig Wilson reported when Pitchers/Catchers reported. If he gains C eligibility, he could be huge.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers