Closers of the future...today. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers of the future...today.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closers of the future...today.

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:06 pm

So I see tons of teams fighting their closer spots. I don't see clear winners so let me hear so opinions on how these situations pan out:

Baltimore: I personally see Ray as the closer (maybe its cause of his K/IP ratio and ERA or because hes on my dynasty team, who knows.) The guy has a ridiculous fast ball and strikes out well enough to remind me of...BJ Ryan. Who would have thunk it?

Pirates: Gonzales is the guy, but Marte has the experience and mental stability. Where does this go?

TB: I have Orvella pencilled in to be a fantastic closer, but thats just me cause of his blazing fastball and make up. I personally do not know the other candidates. I'd cheer if they brought John Rocker back.

Atlanta: Reitsma? Devine? McBride? I( swear I thought McBride was the guy here. I thought they drafted him to be their guy of the future. I really thought that was the thought process when he came to them in the draft, I guess I thought wrong? Now I'm hearing McBride will never be the closer. Whats the deal here?

Marlins: Enlighten me, I really have no idea.

Reds: Ryan Wagner was a star. The word "was" should be underlined a couple of hundred times though. What happened to this guy? A bummed shoulder and thats it?! Hes done? Weathers is old, and they should be looking for future talent. I heard they wanted to convert some started who did fairly well last year (Don't remember name, started with a C I think) but now thats out of the question. Why in the world have the sent Luke Hudson down?! Whats the story?

Thats all I can think of. For those that know me, you know I only start to check baseball stuff out around this time and have no idea what has been happening over the past 3-4 months. This is why I'm sorry if you laugh if some of these situations have been completely cleared up and I still haven't heard about it. Bear with me.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Cabrera in Cleveland--due to Wickmam's injury potential.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 pm

I think the Orioles, Rays, and Pirates are pretty much a sure thing for who you listed at closing.

On the Braves, Reitsma should defiantly have the first crack at it, but who knows if he will keep it. Not sure where you got that info on McBride, first he was drafted as a starter and only recently turned into a RP. Also if they thought of him as a future closer I doubt they would of taken a college closer last year, like I said in the other thread he is more of a set up guy now.

Marlins it's pretty much Borowski, with Bowyer in wings. I personally don't think either are good for closing, but they won't have to worry about competing much this year anyways.

Reds, well yeah ... looks ugly. They will have to see how Wagner's shoulder responds, but now it's Weathers job till he loses it.

Oh yeah and when Foulke can't cut it anymore, watch out for Craig Hansen.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KOSTAS » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:14 pm

hybrid wrote:I think the Orioles, Rays, and Pirates are pretty much a sure thing for who you listed at closing.

On the Braves, Reitsma should defiantly have the first crack at it, but who knows if he will keep it. Not sure where you got that info on McBride, first he was drafted as a starter and only recently turned into a RP. Also if they thought of him as a future closer I doubt they would of taken a college closer last year, like I said in the other thread he is more of a set up guy now.

Marlins it's pretty much Borowski, with Bowyer in wings. I personally don't think either are good for closing, but they won't have to worry about competing much this year anyways.

Reds, well yeah ... looks ugly. They will have to see how Wagner's shoulder responds, but now it's Weathers job till he loses it.

Oh yeah and when Foulke can't cut it anymore, watch out for Craig Hansen.

it's obvious to me that Biorowski is not cut out for closing, but curious on your claim that Bowyer is not. He had a great year in that role in AAA in 05. What's there not to like assuming his control keeps improving? He's got one of the nastiest heaters out there- and it moves well. I think he is a class above Borowski for sure.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:23 pm

I agree he is above Borowski, though that really isn't saying much at all. The reason I'm not sold on Bowyer is pretty simple, he has one good pitch. Unless he shows a secondary pitch to help out his FB, he isn't going to get the job done in the majors.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Area51's » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:31 pm

stumpak wrote:Cabrera in Cleveland--due to Wickmam's injury potential.

I have Wickman rated as my "first closer to lose a job". He's probably not as bad as Boroski and other bad closers, but they are mainly on bad teams with no better options. The indians will be looking to win, AND have a very deep bullpen... His health, and inability to strike guys out has him high on my bye-bye list.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm

Re: the Pirates, Marte is not even in the top 3 from the standpoint of closer potential. Going into spring training, it's Gonzalez's job, with Torres, then Rob. Hernandez as the second and third options.

Essentially, Marte was obtained to make sure they still had 2 match-up lefties in the 'pen (with Gonzo as the closer). That being said, it wouldn't shock me if Marte was traded before the end of spring training.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby brandnew » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm

McBride is more of the future LOOGY, LHers can't hit him. Boyer or Devine are the closers of the future most likely.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers