Brandon Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Area51's » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 pm

I have him and Patterson down as targets to sneak away in my league. Webb's problem is keeping his control together--Patterson's issue is that terrible offense he'll be pitching for. But these are guys who can help you alot, and even better, won't hurt your carefully crafted ERA in a ROTO league.

Webb has that great combination of GB% and K/9, and other posters pointed to O-dog and other improved defense helping him a lot.

He'll more than likely be facing other team's #1's though...although in the NL West ..outside of Peavy, thats not much (Penny, Schmidt, COL)
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikegp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Webb has Orlando Hudson on his team now. As a jays fan he is amazing with the glove. A sinker pitcher like Webb will benefit A LOT from O-Dawg.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:43 pm

Area51's wrote:I have him and Patterson down as targets to sneak away in my league. Webb's problem is keeping his control together--Patterson's issue is that terrible offense he'll be pitching for. But these are guys who can help you alot, and even better, won't hurt your carefully crafted ERA in a ROTO league.

Webb has that great combination of GB% and K/9, and other posters pointed to O-dog and other improved defense helping him a lot.

He'll more than likely be facing other team's #1's though...although in the NL West ..outside of Peavy, thats not much (Penny, Schmidt, COL)

Patterson? :-o

I know there are a lot of guys who are high on him here in the cafe, but I wouldn't touch that guy.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giants! » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:08 pm

WittyC wrote:Patterson? :-o
I know there are a lot of guys who are high on him here in the cafe, but I wouldn't touch that guy.

any reason why
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:38 pm

giants! wrote:
WittyC wrote:Patterson? :-o

any reason why

Yeah I'd like to know as well. Seems like a very good breakout candidate to me and can be had for a reasonable price. In his first full season posted pretty good numbers and his peripherals were very good also.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... on-1.shtml
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevethumb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:45 pm

like odalis perez who after throwing 118 innings in 01 broke out in 02 by throwing 222 innings w/a 3.00 era and less than 1.00 whip, but fell off the face of the earth since (era 03 was 4.52) there are those who think by doubling the # of IP from one yr to the next there is a correlation to a precipitous dropoff....patterson threw 98 IP in 04 and 198 IP in 05...could be a red flag
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:45 pm

I'd take Patterson, has a K/9 of 8.4, WHIP of 1.20 last year. Sure only got 9 wins, but as long as you don't hope for more than 12-13, should be a good later round pick.

Webb seems to be a popular sleeper candidate (especially here at the cafe). His WHIP was at 1.26 last season and struck out 170. I'd probably choose Patterson over Webb, but I'd still worry about the health of both pitchers. While Webb has never been injured (to my knowledge) he's thrown about 600 innings the last 3 years... could be trouble for a 26 year old.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers