Keeper drafts, year after year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper drafts, year after year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper drafts, year after year

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:41 am

For those of you in keeper leagues, when the point comes that you have your maximum keepers and are comfortable that they can be your core for several years to come, do you then approach drafts as if they are for the current year only, or do you keep drafting as if it is the first year of a keeper league?
Hopefully the question is clear. Just curious about people's approaches.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotterdam_82 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:49 am

It is a tough question, but I guess in general you always draft as if it's a keeper because you just never know what will happen to that 'solid core'.

It also depends on who's available. If say you keep 5 and Rickie Weeks is available, you take him first round. Even if that means over someone who may just outprodue him this year (like a Kent).

There are some amazing prospects on the horizon. Delmon, Butler, Upton, Drew :-L
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 am

ALWAYS play for this year. Taking players like Weeks in the first round is an unnecessary gamble. Let everyone else worry about 2-3 years into the future. In fact, I would bluff everyone into thinking about 2-3 years down the road.

You have no idea if you will still be in that league or if the league will even exist in 2 years. You also have no idea if top prospects will really turn out to what everyone expected them to be.

Also, if you are only keeping 5-6 players, then once you are out of the race, you can mortgage your team to contenders to get prospects, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thinkspin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:46 am

Yoda wrote:ALWAYS play for this year. Taking players like Weeks in the first round is an unnecessary gamble. Let everyone else worry about 2-3 years into the future. In fact, I would bluff everyone into thinking about 2-3 years down the road.

You have no idea if you will still be in that league or if the league will even exist in 2 years. You also have no idea if top prospects will really turn out to what everyone expected them to be.

Also, if you are only keeping 5-6 players, then once you are out of the race, you can mortgage your team to contenders to get prospects, etc.

I agree. ALWAYS play to win. Especially in keeper leagues where young guys will be overvalued by others. This makes building an overpowering team even easier.
Founder of a fantasy sports related website...
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djacks » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:01 pm

I've been in a keepr for 7 years now and the same four or five teams always finish near the top...and we all have a similar approach. We have a core of great players that we keep year after year, then we draft for this year. The owners that draft for 2-3 years down the road are always "playing for the future"...every year! They overlook very good players and are always trying to draft the next Pujols, Arod, or Vlad.

But that's fine with me...it leaves a lot of talent there for me to compete every year!!! ;-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:52 pm

I think it depends on your league. I play in a 16 team mixed league with 10 keepers. My goal is to be in contention to win every year, but I don't think you can do that without turning over 1 or 2 keeper spots each year. So, while most of my draft after the keepers is focused on winning this year, I will tend to pick the young guy over the old guy (if he breaks out, he might be a keeper) and I may have one draft pick late in the draft that is a future keeper (I'm willing to take a chance and have my 25th roster spot not contribute anything until June/July, if it's a guy who is a solid long-term keeper--particularly if I'll have a bad waiver priority, the draft may be your best chance to grab a prospect).
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers