I puss out at the state patrol office. Hit and run. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I puss out at the state patrol office. Hit and run.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RyanK » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 am

Last year I had two accidents.. in a week... one i backed into a car parked right behind my driveway.. it was nighttime and i had 3 kids in the back seat and the car was black so i didnt see it very well.. put a nice 500 dollar scratch on it. I heard the noise and was just like shit.. pulled over.. looked at the damage, was like eh its not that bad so i left and went to hockey practice. But when i got to practice i realized i broke my tail light and started to feel really guilty so i told my coach what happend and that i had to leave. I told the kid id pay the damage and did.

Then my other accident happend i rear ended a kid on my hockey team while we where going to a team dinner. It sucked, this lady came flying through on a side street and just cut him off right after we had turned on to a road, i hit him at less than 5 mph but still caused 2 grand in damage.. since i knew him and our parents were good friends we didnt call the cops. But my dad said it would still have been my fault even though the lady cut him off.. I was in enough distance to stop if i had good brakes.. i got my brakes checked about a month after that and they were basically about to fall off the guy said.. guess thats what you get for buying a used car
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:48 pm

Phatferd wrote:I don't get why everyone thinks by tapping the brake makes him liable or partially liable. He has every legal right to tap the brake, that's why the law states you must be a reasonable distance behind the car in front of you in case of a sudden stop.

He has every right to put on his brakes....

IF he has a reason to, ie the ground squirrel. If, in the heat of the exchange he told the investigating officer 'she was annoying me so I tapped the brakes to get her to back off', depending on the laws in the state where the loss occurred, he may not actually have the right to stop in that manner. In some states, there may be laws governing the manner of stopping as well as the manner in which you need to maintain the proper following distance. Defensive driving classes, which I went to the federally regulated one recently because of a ticket, specifically state 'don't stop suddenly if some idiot is tailgating you, pull over and get out of their way'.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:05 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I don't get why everyone thinks by tapping the brake makes him liable or partially liable. He has every legal right to tap the brake, that's why the law states you must be a reasonable distance behind the car in front of you in case of a sudden stop.

IF he has a reason to, ie the ground squirrel. If, in the heat of the exchange he told the investigating officer 'she was annoying me so I tapped the brakes to get her to back off', depending on the laws in the state where the loss occurred, he may not actually have the right to stop in that manner. In some states, there may be laws governing the manner of stopping as well as the manner in which you need to maintain the proper following distance. Defensive driving classes, which I went to the federally regulated one recently because of a ticket, specifically state 'don't stop suddenly if some idiot is tailgating you, pull over and get out of their way'.

There is a difference between stopping suddenly and tapping your breaks. A lot of times I realize I am going 10 MPH or so over the speed limit and I put my brakes on to slow down. If there is a car 4 inches from my rear, so be it, it is their fault not mine if they hit me.

If he told the Cop that he was going 15 mph over the limit and she was on his ass, she had to be going over the speed limit as well, therefore, it becomes a moot point. She HAS to maintain a safe distance to operate her car out of a possible emergency situation.

I have actually been pulled over for driving too close to someone before. I just got a warning and the Cop told me I need to be able to see the bottom of the persons rear tires in front of me.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:23 pm

that's for sure. I guess that the 64 dollar question would be what did he tell the cop?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:16 am

I dont know what state you are in, but you could fight the citation and win because:

A) she hit you and therefore it is assumed that it was her fault.

B) she left the scene of an accident and therefore knew she did something wrong.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:34 am

AcidRock23 wrote:

Heh, my driving school told me just to keep driving if there's a small animal in front of you.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:23 am

thedude wrote:I dont know what state you are in, but you could fight the citation and win because:

A) she hit you and therefore it is assumed that it was her fault.

B) she left the scene of an accident and therefore knew she did something wrong.

That still depends on what state he's in and what he told the cop. If he told her 'she was coming up behind me and I wasn't gonna get out of her way so I figured I'd tap the breaks' and there's some sort of regulationa against stopping suddenly, the proper disposition would be, IMHO, TWO tickets, him for stopping for no reason and her for following to closely and failing to reduce her speed to avoid an accident. I have to suspect he did tell the cop something to implicate himself.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 am

The person that hits from behind is at fault. What hapened to you is that the cop didn't want to do the paperwork and used the Jedi mind trick to get you both to think the best option was dropping the whole thing. I work in Law enforcement and I see this all the time.

It is very difficult for them to convict you on a violation that they didn't witness. They can still write you a ticket but if you faught it you would win. If you both have insurance she is required to give you her insurance info. I'm from Canada so it is different up here but the way it works is you make a claim with your insurance and they fix your car, then they go after her insurance for the money.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:27 pm

reznorsboy wrote:The person that hits from behind is at fault. What hapened to you is that the cop didn't want to do the paperwork and used the Jedi mind trick to get you both to think the best option was dropping the whole thing. I work in Law enforcement and I see this all the time.

It is very difficult for them to convict you on a violation that they didn't witness. They can still write you a ticket but if you faught it you would win. If you both have insurance she is required to give you her insurance info. I'm from Canada so it is different up here but the way it works is you make a claim with your insurance and they fix your car, then they go after her insurance for the money.

That is how it works in every state that i have ever seen the laws in.

Since she rear ended him, she is at fault. The lead driver has the right to slow down. YOu are supposed to have multiple car lengths between you and the guy into front of you.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:27 pm

3 run homer wrote:This past 4th of July someone accused me of doing a hit and run on their car parked on the street in my neighborhood. Suppose to have happened at 11:15 pm
I had pre-existing damage to my explorer from a year before (ice storm and a spin out)
Finally after some phone tag with the investigating cop we finally talk he tells me they have my tag # there are eye witnesses.
Now I don't live with anyone and no one else has a key to my truck.
So I'm immediately thinking some saw my truck and the damage and decided to try and cash in at my expense.
So the cop tells me he came by knocked no one answered (I was asleep), went and looked at my truck and said the damage was comensurate with their damage. And said if this goes to court I'll be charged with felony hit and run. Then I said to him, I suggest you go back tell who ever is making this claim that after I proove existing damage, they can be charged felony fraud and conspiracy to comit fraud. Never heard from them again.
:-D

Any insurance adjustor worth a dime can tell the difference between "old" damage and "new" damage. :-?

1 thing that I am really troubled with is the amount of damage. Since both of you were travelling in excess of 70 MPH, I don't see how only your bumper would be scratched.

I used to subrogate claims. Basically, I would recoup payments and deductibles from other insurance companies based on liability. Mind you, that was many years ago but I still remember how to do it. Anyway, if the hit was a straight rear-end hit, she should be liable. The citation against you won't help but I have gotten around that. If the hit is more at an angle, you might have more problems. My advice would be to forget about it if you really don't have any damages. I would make sure to contact your insurance company in case she files a claim against you. If your insurance company pays out more than a certain amount (used to be $500 in N.J.), your premiums could go up.

Did she have any damage?? If you decide to pursue this, a nice witness statement from a gas station attendant will go a long way. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk