Does anyone play NBA Live, especially on the PC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Does anyone play NBA Live, especially on the PC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone play NBA Live, especially on the PC?

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:42 pm

I just got this game and like it a lot (I came across a site like MVPMODS.com, where you can play modded versions), but I am having the hardest time playing defense.

Also, is there a way to pass to a specific player? So far I can only pass to the nearest teammate. I hate it because I could be in the right post, get double teamed and have a wing man on the left side of the court wide open, but I cannot get him the ball.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:16 am

I play NBA Live for Gamecube. It's kind of old though. 2004.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 am

I haven't played NBA Live since the '95 was released for the Sega Genesis. :-°
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby so0perspam » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:38 am

I've got NBA Live '06 for PS2 .... pretty much all I play. :-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:41 am

Maybe its similar?

How do you play defense? In CB2k5 the right analog was used to do things like put your arms out to cut down passing angles, put a hand in their face, etc...On my PC version I can't do that. It seems like all I can do is swat at the ball and try to stay between the man and the basket.

Also, how do you play offense? I am having a horrible time trying to play a low post game. How do you back a defender down? I want to back them down and either do a spin move or a hop to seperate and score. I just don't know how to get my guy with the ball to square up and back down the defender.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:07 am

You need to use the L and R buttons I think to back down and stuff...I have NBA Live 05 and it uses those buttons.

It's also L or R to bring up passing icons so you can pass to whichever guy you want.

So basically you just need to find out what the shoulder buttons of controller are on the keyboard.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 am

Is there an NBA Dead? That would be cool. I got dibs on Wilt Chamberlain.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Phatferd wrote:Maybe its similar?

How do you play defense? In CB2k5 the right analog was used to do things like put your arms out to cut down passing angles, put a hand in their face, etc...On my PC version I can't do that. It seems like all I can do is swat at the ball and try to stay between the man and the basket.

Also, how do you play offense? I am having a horrible time trying to play a low post game. How do you back a defender down? I want to back them down and either do a spin move or a hop to seperate and score. I just don't know how to get my guy with the ball to square up and back down the defender.

I have it and play for the PC. Check out http://www.nba-live.com for sweet stuff regarding Live, it's patches, mods, etc. etc.

Anyway, since my controller for PC is essentially a PS2 controller, I'll tell you in PS2 terms...

When you're on defense, hold down the right analog stick to make sure your player gets his hands out on D. This prevents, to a degree, a man from driving on you. Stay tight on the man, or he'll hit the J, but get too tight, and he'll burn you.

To back a defender down, hold the right analog stick down, and use the left analog stick to move your player. If you play with the keyboard, there is a way to make it so you can back down at the link I posted above. Using trianble in the backdown will cause you to power step, pro hop, or do a spin move to create separation for the shot/layup/dunk.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I love the game for PC much much more than any system (especially with the newest mod that adds the graphics similar to that of the XBOX 360)...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

I have it and play for the PC. Check out http://www.nba-live.com for sweet stuff regarding Live, it's patches, mods, etc. etc.

Anyway, since my controller for PC is essentially a PS2 controller, I'll tell you in PS2 terms...

When you're on defense, hold down the right analog stick to make sure your player gets his hands out on D. This prevents, to a degree, a man from driving on you. Stay tight on the man, or he'll hit the J, but get too tight, and he'll burn you.

To back a defender down, hold the right analog stick down, and use the left analog stick to move your player. If you play with the keyboard, there is a way to make it so you can back down at the link I posted above. Using trianble in the backdown will cause you to power step, pro hop, or do a spin move to create separation for the shot/layup/dunk.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I love the game for PC much much more than any system (especially with the newest mod that adds the graphics similar to that of the XBOX 360)...

Hey BH, thanks for the info.

Yeah I posted on that site, but they didn't really help me out. That is the site I found that made me go out and get the game. This all started with mvpmods, now I have Madden and NBA Live.

I think I might get Fifa. I don't watch or play soccer, but I have always enjoyed the soccer video games.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Phatferd wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Hey BH, thanks for the info.

Yeah I posted on that site, but they didn't really help me out. That is the site I found that made me go out and get the game. This all started with mvpmods, now I have Madden and NBA Live.

I think I might get Fifa. I don't watch or play soccer, but I have always enjoyed the soccer video games.

Do they have mods for Fifa and Madden? Those 2 and Live are the only games I play these days...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Return to General Talk