Fantasy Mags - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Mags

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:47 am

djacks wrote:I just picked up MLB Yearbook and Fantasy Guide...haven't had a chance to look through it all yet, but I like the fact that they give three sets of predictions...a "most likely", "upside", and "downside" prediction for each player. Pretty cool. Also gives an analysis of each player with a risk and reward category as well as ranks and dollar values. The rankings aren't the best I've seen but you can adjust those...it is definetly roto based, which you have to account for if your in a points league like I am.

im not big into projections but i picked this one up for a co-worker who is a project-a-holic because i had never seen any mag do the levels of projections..he loved it
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gimme_Fiction » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:06 pm

A quick question about any of these mags. Do any of them have any form of keeper rankings?
Gimme_Fiction
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Fantasy Mags

Postby reiser » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:23 pm

train514 wrote:Which one do you most prefer? I need to get one so I have a hard copy of stats from last year and projections for this year. Which do you think makes the best projections?

I get this one every year, and it's my favorite:
http://www.askrotoman.com/fbguide/index.html

mostly because it has the most player profiles. It's also usually filled with sleazy gambling ads featuring lascivious models, so I like that too.

then I try and pick up one that has some sort of positional and team analysis, I want to say I got Rototimes for that. But really, as
I crank up my research I need as many player profiles as possible.
I'm also thinking about getting the Sickels book this year too.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:45 pm

just an update for any mag fans

CBS Sportslines came out as well as rotowire and street and smith

theres about 12-14 floating around on the shelves now (caveat emptor)

i saw someone had asked if these get updated and the answer for the most part is NO except for the ones that offer online updates

a mag or 2 is helpful if you are a newbie to sit down and really read everything in depth
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:18 am

So basically give yourself some time, hit the shelves and thumb through what is available and grab one or two that you like.

In year's past I usually have my top 5 at each Position and an overall top 15 ready before I go shopping. Then I look to see if the mag matches up fairly well with my projections. Those most similar get my money.

Also, the mags that do not offer the flashy color pages are selling what is on the pages and not how nice it looks. To me, that says they are fairly confident that their data alone will move their product. I don't think you make your decision based on this fact, but I start with these types. In the end, it is usually these I end up buyiung as well. But that is just me.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:28 am

I flipped through a couple at the bookstore and decided to get something else. The player lists, etc. are handy but I can stuff mine onto a couple pages w/ Word and that's handier IMHO. I've read Baseball Forecaster a couple of times and can find stuff there quickly enough but generally, I watch the picks in drafts pretty closely and don't really need a mag to make picks.

The slackers in our office money league always want to bogart them after we burn through the guys they've heard of and they can buy their own this year. Or borrow the Forecaster and go 'what the helll is all this stuff'. Ha ha... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers