Research Paper! About Baseball... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Research Paper! About Baseball...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Research Paper! About Baseball...

Postby Spiegs1106 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:52 pm

I was assigned a Research Paper and thought you could help me choose a topic question.

You May choose anything that falls under the heading 'race' and 'membership'.

Must have a thesis statement.
Must answer a question.

She gave us some topics to use and I found this one very interesting...

Integration of Baseball, Negro Leagues, Minor and Major Leagues

From the topic above...I must think of a question I can write 6 pages about and prove with details. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Negro Leagues are a very interesting topic and there's a wealth of info. It's so interesting how baseball, even when segregated, was something of a uniting force. People would go to see the Negro League games and talk about how much better some the black players were; the integration of baseball and Jackie Robinson joining the Dodgers was not the result of civil disobedience or activism... it was the pure talent of Jackie Robinson that broke the color barrier and the fact that so many white players welcomed him to the league (and while many players hated him and many fans booed, it's amazing that he was more accepted than discriminated).

Absolutely fascinating and wonderful social commentary about the changing climate of American civilization all through the greatest sport in the world, America's past time.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:02 pm

You have to answer a question though... interesting. Perhaps a question like

Is the race membership in professional baseball significantly different than professional basketball/ football/ hockey? And then do some research on why.

That doesn't really incorporate the whole negro leagues thing though. I can't really think of a question involving the negro leagues :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:30 pm

How about, "what is the direct correlation between the rise of televised sports and the increase of minority baseball players."

or....

"What is the comparrison in attendance between the age of the negro leagues and the total integration."

or...

"Although Jackie Robinson was baseballs first black player, who were to people behind the scenes who planted the seeds that allowed this growth."

or...

"Analyze the social trends of pre integration to post integration."

just some ideas sounds interesting though ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Spiegs1106 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Yeah those Ideas are great.

The problem is that she wants us to have a question to answer. She said the answer in the paper should be open ended...instead of a 'yes' or 'no' answer

"Was Jackie Robinson the only thing that helped integrate baseball"

Could that work. Other Suggestions welcome. Thanx!!
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Thursday » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:Negro Leagues are a very interesting topic and there's a wealth of info. It's so interesting how baseball, even when segregated, was something of a uniting force. People would go to see the Negro League games and talk about how much better some the black players were; the integration of baseball and Jackie Robinson joining the Dodgers was not the result of civil disobedience or activism... it was the pure talent of Jackie Robinson that broke the color barrier and the fact that so many white players welcomed him to the league (and while many players hated him and many fans booed, it's amazing that he was more accepted than discriminated).

Absolutely fascinating and wonderful social commentary about the changing climate of American civilization all through the greatest sport in the world, America's past time.

There's your topic, right there. That's a paper i'd love to read.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Spiegs1106 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:40 pm

Thursday wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Negro Leagues are a very interesting topic and there's a wealth of info. It's so interesting how baseball, even when segregated, was something of a uniting force. People would go to see the Negro League games and talk about how much better some the black players were; the integration of baseball and Jackie Robinson joining the Dodgers was not the result of civil disobedience or activism... it was the pure talent of Jackie Robinson that broke the color barrier and the fact that so many white players welcomed him to the league (and while many players hated him and many fans booed, it's amazing that he was more accepted than discriminated).

But what question do I write about?
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:42 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:
Thursday wrote:

I have a present for you. I just finished an 8 page research paper on the Negro Leagues and they're impact on the Civil Rights Movement back in mid-Janurary. It only got me a B+ though so I guess its not that good.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Spiegs1106 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:58 pm

HiddenIdentity wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:
Thursday wrote:

I have a present for you. I just finished an 8 page research paper on the Negro Leagues and they're impact on the Civil Rights Movement back in mid-Janurary. It only got me a B+ though so I guess its not that good.

I wouldn't want to copy the paper. But maybe you could help me out a little with places to find information
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 am

Spiegs1106 wrote:
HiddenIdentity wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:
Thursday wrote:

I wouldn't want to copy the paper. But maybe you could help me out a little with places to find information

Check your PM box.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk