If you punt saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If you punt saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: punting saves

Postby dannahann » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:13 pm

Eightan wrote:
dannahann wrote:I'm curious as to why he should forget the mid relief guys? I've had outstanding sucess by purposely targeting them. Not in the draft mind you, but usually for nothing off the wire. The strategy works especially well in leagues with a tight IP cap. There are often MR avail with K/IP ratios greater than 1 and having exceptional WHIP and ERA too. These guys (if on 500 or better teams) often vulture a number of W's as well. If circumstances lend you to punt saves, by all means target dominant MR. Even if circumstances don't, it only helps to roster 1 or 2 dominant ones.

well, i'm of course assuming his league doesn't count holds. now with that assumption in mind, look at the standard pitching categories and see whether it'll be a bigger help to have a starter in the RP slot or mid-reliever/setup man.
1. with the starter you're more likely to get the win. granted there are a few set up men who get wins but there are fewer of those then there are starters who qualify as RP's and will thus get you wins from the RP slot.
2. more strike outs. period. sure there are a few set up guys, dotel and shields for instance, who have great k/9 or k/bb ratios but assuming a standard scoring format which just counts total k's, he'll get more of them from guys like escobar, schilling and wood (assuming they're healthy) who all should be relative bargains due to those health questions.
so, like i said, go for the starters who qualify as RP's ;-D

Schilling Wood and Escobar are good because just like stud MR they have excellent K/IP ratios. Most leagues have IP limits, therefore what you don't want to do (assuming punting Ks) is to burn up all your innings on poor K/IP SPs to chase wins. I'm not factoring in holds either, my league doesn't count them yet I've had great sucess by targeting cheap, meaning free (but dominant) MR. You just don't normally find dominant SP that cheap.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:30 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:MRs are at best marginal and at worst useless depending on your league rules. In weekly leagues or leagues with tight IP limits, MRs are not worth owning except as bench speculation for a closer's spot.

Punting saves is a bad idea usually. That sad, if you get into a situation with 1 closer and his name is Weathers, you may as well. Basically, you are often better off playing matchups week to week with OK starters going up against bad offensive teams. Like anything else though, it can back fire on you.

Good MR's can help the rate cats a lot. If you can get OK starters that's different, but when you start getting to the bottom of the pack I dont want those SPs at all. Most of those guys will be lucky to get you a win, they wont strike out that many, and will kill your rates. A couple of MR's > 1 lousy SP. In leagues with tight IP limits their value increases since some of them have real nice K/9.

I agree with you about punting saves. You should be able to get some points out of there unless you have some really bad luck.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers