What are the best categories to use in a league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the best categories to use in a league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What are the best categories to use in a league?

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm

In a league where people pick up a lot of players off waivers there are categories that can only hurt you, categories that can only help you, and categories that could go either way. For instance, picking up a pitcher off waivers can only hurt you as far as losses goes, help you as far as strikeouts goes, and ERA could go either way.

One guy in our league has suggested a way to make our league less ‘Waiver friendly’, making less waiver moves, without putting a limit on the moves. He suggested the following categories could be used:

Pitching: Wins, Losses, Runs, Walks, Strikeouts, Shutouts, ERA, WHIP, K/BB
Hitting: HR, RBI, Steals, Caught Stealing, Strikeouts, Errors, Average, Slugging percentage, Fielding percentage.

In pitching and hitting, there would be Help-3, Hurt-3, Either way-3. You’d really have to know your baseball to be picking players up off waivers safely, and it would be used more in emergency situations, instead of in every day play
My take on this is that there are a few categories that are repetitive in that setup, and it would leave a lot of important baseball stats out, like hits, runs, saves, and holds.

Our league is now set up as follows:
Pitching: Wins, Losses, Complete Games, Saves, Holds, Strikeouts, ERA, WHIP, and K/BB
Hitting: Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples, HR, RBIs, Average, Stolen Bases, Errors

By this guy's theory, even I would have to say this is a very ‘Wiaver friendly’ league. Hitting: Help – 7, Hurt – 1, Either way – 1. Pitching: Help – 5, Hurt – 1, Either way – 3. I think this format could use some changes.

I suggested, on the hitting side, getting rid of singles, doubles, and triples, and adding hits. Then we could add caught stealing, and maybe strikeouts. Adding walks, and getting rid of complete games, or something like that would help on the pitching side.

I was just wondering what some of your opinions would be on this… for that matter, what do you believe are the ideal categories to use in a league?
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:53 pm

Is this head to head, roto or points league?

For a non points league I don't like anything more than a 6x6 league, as it gets too difficult to valuate players when you have 18 categories to sift through. If you don't want people making too many waiver moves, then why not cap innings pitched and games played per position. All of which are available on Yahoo.
vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:18 pm

xeifrank wrote:Is this head to head, roto or points league?

For a non points league I don't like anything more than a 6x6 league, as it gets too difficult to valuate players when you have 18 categories to sift through.

That is a question that needs to be answered. Sorry I forgot about it. Its a head to head league.

xeifrank wrote: If you don't want people making too many waiver moves, then why not cap innings pitched and games played per position. All of which are available on Yahoo.
vr, Xei

I'm not the commish, so I can't really make that decision, although the commish is open to suggestions, and has been known to change the categories for us. I didn't know you could make these restrictions, but we could also just put a limit on the number of moves, which the commish already absolutely refused to do last year, when it was suggested. I wouldn't really want to see these types of restrictions on waiver moves anyway... it is part of the fun of being in these leagues. But I also don't want there to be a clear advantage for those people who are always picking up players off the waivers.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: What are the best categories to use in a league?

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:06 pm

quitesanemax wrote:One guy in our league has suggested ... there would be Help-3, Hurt-3, Either way-3.
My take on this is that there are a few categories that are repetitive in that setup, and it would leave a lot of important baseball stats out, like hits, runs, saves, and holds.

you're both right. i think of them more as cumulative stats, negative stats, and averaged stats, but he's correct that the way to fashion a good league is balancing the different types of stats so that someone can't just laser in on a particular fantasy strategy such as player churning.

but you do have to be careful that you're not overly duplicative of stats. you're going to have some runover (think about how many categories a HR fits into), but if you're doing K's & BB's, then doing K/BB is just a bit silly. especially if you're already doing WHIP.

also, you want to be careful on what sort of incentives you're creating. for instance, having steals and caught stealing means that it's equally good to have a player who leads the league in steals as it is to have a player who just never tries (e.g. david ortiz). which is clearly not the case. it's like having hits as one statistic and times put out as another.

all in all, i'd say that he's on the right track. it's just that you, as a league, have to refine and perfect the statistics you want to use. and although a 3-3-3 balance is nice, i wouldn't get too bent out of shape if it was 4-3-2 or what not.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:16 pm

Thanks, all, for the input! It has been helpful to me.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers