best h2h strategy.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

best h2h strategy..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

best h2h strategy..

Postby pat1999 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:04 pm

every year people start posting the next best thing for h2h fantasy...they are punting categories left and right and stocking up on others...year in and out i see people trying such strategies and failing...and year in and year out the most balanced team is at the top of the h2h leagues...

why draft hitter heavy or pitching heavy teams to win certain categories when you can draft a well balanced team and try and win every category???

i have experimented with different h2h strats and in the end i find the most success with well rounded teams...depending on the league settings i usually try and get the 3 best bats available with my first three picks then try and grab 2 aces with my next 3 picks then take it from there...i have consistently finishsed at the top of my leagues with this method...

in conclusion i think its time to put your abstract strategies to rest and just draft a well rounded team..

heres my team from last year..i finsished with over 200 wins..and consistently beat teams by double digits..i never left 1st place..sure i got lucky with a couple picks like dlee and roberts but my success came from my well roundedness

12 team h2h 30 IP MIN

R - HR - RBI - SB - TB - AVG - OPS

IP - W - SV - K - ERA - WHIP - K/9

C - Pierzynski
1B - D. Lee
2B - B. ROberts
SS - Furcal
3B - Blalock
LF - Manny
CF - Crawford
RF - B. Wilkerson
Util - Sexson
Util - R. Ibanez
BN - D young
BN - Mike Sweeny
BN - J lane

SP - M. Prior
SP - Aj Burnett
SP - M. Buerhle
RP - F. Cordero
RP - Guardado
P - Petitte
P - M. Gonzalez
BN - M. Morris
BN - J Patterson
BN -arroyo
BN - C. Lee
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:46 pm

Some good points, and I like drafting a balanced roster myself.

However, I dont think that trying to have a well balanced team is the same as trying to win every category. In H2H you dont need to shut the other guy out, just win more cats most of the time. A good strong roster should do that for you even if you dont ever win SBs or saves.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Nemo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:21 pm

I've won my H2H league for the past two years. I like to be fairly balanced, but definately put the empahasis on hitting. Hitters are generally more consistant and something you can count on winning with a good lineup. Since most starters only pitch once a week a bad start by one of your studs can wreck you for the week. Just too hard to count on pitching. That said it's much easier to steal the pitching categories any given week.

So I try to get one top pitcher and then look for good mid level guys after I've loaded up on hitting. I won't mention the pitching roster churning because I just never have the energy for that.

FWIW, here's the team I had for most of the season last year to win my 12 team league. After a couple trades and some serious WW work. Below is from the last time I updated my roster, ended up with Utley at 2B once Roberts got hurt and dropped bonds and can't remember if Harden finished the season on the DL, pretty sure I dropped Perez towards the end too. I was punting saves for a while (not on purpose it just worked out that way) but then I picked up Turnbow and Street so was OK. The league counts holds and I always dominated there.

12 team H2H - daily changes

R, H, HR, RBI, SB, E, Ave

C - J. Posada
1B - T. Helton
2B - B. Roberts
3B - E. Chavez
SS - M. Tejada
OF - B. Abreu
OF - L. Gonzalez
OF - J. Edmonds
Util - A. Dunn
BN - P. Feliz
DL - B. Bonds

W, L, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP

SP - J. Peavy, R. Harden (DL), Ol. Perez, J. Vazquez, L. Hernandez, B. Colon, E. Bedard

RP - T. Gordon, Y. Brazoban, A. Otsuka, D. Turnbow, R. Wagner, H. Street
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers