Greatest Stuff of All Time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Greatest Stuff of All Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greatest Stuff of All Time

Postby willy-t » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:26 am

I'm thinking perhaps Sandy Koufax, although I am too young to see him, I hear he was incredibly natural. In the modern era, maybe Mark Prior, or Randy Johnson?

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Greatest Stuff of All Time

Postby baseballboy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:18 am

willy-t wrote:I'm thinking perhaps Sandy Koufax

For those of us who were fortunate enough to see this man pitch - he was awesome. He had pinpoint accuracy with his blazing fastball and could throw a "12-to-6-o'clock" curve where the bottom would just fall out. He was an absolute mound master that may never be equaled again. Sandy Koufax had . . . the greatest stuff off all time.

Another blast from the past who put it all together for about a two year stint was Vida Blue. He was absolutly unhittable for about two seasons. His four-pitch command (fastball, slider, curve, and changeup) was some of the greatest stuff I've ever seen.

But if there is one man that I wanted to have the ball on any given day it was Bob Gibson. Pure intimidation. He owned the plate and the hitter knew it. One time Willy Mays came up to the plate and started digging into the batters box with both feet. He looked up, forgetting it was Gibson so he backed out of the box and filled both of the holes up. Gibson threw at Willy on the next pitch anyway! Gibson was another true master of some of the greatest stuff of all time.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby willy-t » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:32 am

Thanks for that reply, v interesting read.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby screwyinstlouie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 am

baseballboy wrote:
willy-t wrote:I'm thinking perhaps Sandy Koufax

But if there is one man that I wanted to have the ball on any given day it was Bob Gibson. Pure intimidation. He owned the plate and the hitter knew it. One time Willy Mays came up to the plate and started digging into the batters box with both feet. He looked up, forgetting it was Gibson so he backed out of the box and filled both of the holes up. Gibson threw at Willy on the next pitch anyway! Gibson was another true master of some of the greatest stuff of all time.

I started paying attention to baseball at age 9 in 1969, the year after Gibson's incredible 1.12 ERA and 13 shutouts. So I didn't see him at his absolute best. Most anyone who saw him rates him as the greatest competitor of them all; he never gave anyone an inch.

I was at the game in 1974 when he struck out his 3000th, only the second pitcher to do it at the time (Walter Johnson was the first).
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:00 am

I can't say that I've seen the older era of pitchers but I find it very hard to believe that anyone throughout baseball history had stuff as nasty as Pedro Martinez in his prime. At least ompared to the stars of today such as Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson I think you have to say Pedro had the best stuff of any of them and at his best it was by a significant margin.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 am

The stories of Gibson are legendary. I would have loved to have seen some of the 'old-time' pitchers including Walter Johnson, Satchel Paige, and Christy Matheson just to name a few.

Of those I saw in person, Lee Smith was just nasty in his prime. RJ had some moments like that too. I saw a few gems by Maddux though, and while he isn't intimidatng, I had the feeling that hitters were giving up before they even got to the plate. His control was uncanny. Talk about a tiger in sheeps clothing...
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 am

willy-t wrote:Sandy Koufax,

+1
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby monty797 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:31 am

One of my all time favorites to watch was Nolan Ryan. There was something about him.
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 am

Pedro has the most complete repertory I have ever seen. Everything he throughs has great movement, everything he throws has pinpoint accuracy.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:45 am

Tavish wrote:Pedro has the most complete repertory I have ever seen. Everything he throughs has great movement, everything he throws has pinpoint accuracy.
Same here.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Next

Return to Baseball History