"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:22 pm

If he wanted a to give a discount and loved Cincy so much, he would have opted for something like a 5 year 60 M deal and locked in 5 instead of 2 years imo. All this does is guarantee him his arbitration years and give Cincy an extra year to deal him with the option if they choose to pick it up in 2008.
He was not going anywhere barring a deal the next 2 years anyway and likely would have earned roughly about the same over the period, so what would love for Cincy have to do with any of this? Really, all Dunn got out of this deal is guaranteeing himself 2007 salary. Not a lot if you ask me.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KPucks » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:56 pm

I don't see how this is that bad of a deal for Dunn. I believe he had two more arbitration years left, and $18 million for two years is great for an arbitration player. I don't think he would have earned much more in arbitration, and this contract guarantees that he gets the money.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:32 am

Wow. 8-o

Lifetime avg: .248
Last year's avg: .247

And everyone thinks he's underpaid 8-o ? Guy cannot even get a hit 1 in 4 at bats on average.

I know batting average isn't that great of a stat to use, and admit that Dunn has solid power, OBP, and OPS numbers, but his average is just downright embarrassing.

If Dunn is worth 13 Million per year, what's Pujols worth? $25 Million? How about a pitcher with a 4.75 ERA? $12 Million per year? Guess I'll be the first one in this thread to say that he's being paid enough. $18 million over two years is just fine, and quite frankly is more than I'd pay him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WittyC » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:01 am

Madison wrote:Wow. 8-o

Lifetime avg: .248
Last year's avg: .247

And everyone thinks he's underpaid 8-o ? Guy cannot even get a hit 1 in 4 at bats on average.

I know batting average isn't that great of a stat to use, and admit that Dunn has solid power, OBP, and OPS numbers, but his average is just downright embarrassing.

If Dunn is worth 13 Million per year, what's Pujols worth? $25 Million? How about a pitcher with a 4.75 ERA? $12 Million per year? Guess I'll be the first one in this thread to say that he's being paid enough. $18 million over two years is just fine, and quite frankly is more than I'd pay him.

I certainly didn't imply that I would have paid him more as a free agent. :-D

Obviously, people disregard his avg. because he's an OPS monster... but that number might be inflated from his protection, or lack thereof. Only 14 of his 114 BB's were actually intentional, but just because a particular pitcher doesn't give him what we consider to be a traditional "intentional walk," doesn't mean that pitcher has any intention of pitching too him. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm sure I won't be able to find it, but I saw a quote of his last year where he said something along the lines of being frustrated that his average was so much lower in the bigs than when he was in the minors, and how he felt trapped as a home-run hitter. He went on to say that his contact numbers would go way up in '05. :-b
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:08 am

WittyC wrote:Obviously, people disregard his avg. because he's an OPS monster... but that number might be inflated from his protection, or lack thereof. Only 14 of his 114 BB's were actually intentional, but just because a particular pitcher doesn't give him what we consider to be a traditional "intentional walk," doesn't mean that pitcher has any intention of pitching too him. If that makes any sense at all.

Sure, the "unintentional/intentional walk" make sense. You can see one of those almost every game, so I understand that. :-)

His average is just soooooooo embarrassing. There's really no other way to put it. :-o

WittyC wrote:I'm sure I won't be able to find it, but I saw a quote of his last year where he said something along the lines of being frustrated that his average was so much lower in the bigs than when he was in the minors, and how he felt trapped as a home-run hitter. He went on to say that his contact numbers would go way up in '05. :-b

I would have to think that eventually he will learn to hit for a reasonable average, won't he? :-o Can't get much worse. :-o

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers