100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Weaver = Adam Dunn???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Weaver = Adam Dunn???

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 am

Methinks Mr. Dunn needs abetter agent.

Rotooworld:
Reds signed first baseman Adam Dunn to a two-year, $18 million contract with a club option for 2008.
Dunn gets salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. We're not particularly impressed with this for either Dunn or the Reds. With the possibility of a 50-homer season looming, Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal. Dunn is just 26, and while he doesn't have much in the way of defensive value, he's probably going to be one of the game's top-10 hitters for at least the next half dozen years. Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:11 am

I didn't realize Dunn was only 26! 8-o

The comparison to Jeff Weaver really isn't fair, considering the market for arms this year was ridiculous... but then again, Weaver does have Boras as an agent. :-?

I agree with Rotoworld's assessment that Dunn could have made more money on the free agent market, especially if an AL team had a need to fill a DH spot. I guess he just needed to feed his family. ;-7
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:13 am

Sure wish I could sell myself short for one season at $13 million. :,-(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:19 am

Really. Dunn basically got about the what he would have gotten with 2 years of arbitration anyway. 2008 is not guaranteed, so all he really got was the next 2 years at 9 M a piece on avg. And if he has good years, 13 M would be the min of what someone would pay. If he has bad ones, the Reds will decline the option anyway.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheGrump » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:46 am

In my opinion, it doesn't really make sense in MLB to sign guys to huge deals. The way that the contracts are structured, it is almost too risky to sign anyone to a 5 or 6 year deal. Many players get huge deals and disappoint.

See: Ken Griffey Jr., Darren Driefort, Jason Giambi, Mike Hampton, Jeff Bagwell, etc.. etc... etc..

These guys all got huge deals that they are not living up to. If you sign a guy for 1-2 years, you pay a market price for that player over the span of a contact because the term of the contract is short. In the short term, stats are easier to predict, so teams can more accurately assign a monetary value to a player. On the other hand, if you sign a guy to a multi-year deal, it is very difficult to forecast what they will be doing in 5-6 years. Often teams get stuck with a player that they are paying waaaaaayyyyy over market price.
On the other hand, the best case scenerio is that you pay a player a long term deal and he actually outperforms the contract. Although this is rare, it can happen. Many times what happens in these scenarios is that the player 'reworks' his deal so the team must pay more of a market rate for him on the remainder of the existing contract and often times gives the player an extension.

I say eliminate risk and give 1 and 2 year deals ;-D
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 am

TheGrump wrote:I say eliminate risk and give 1 and 2 year deals ;-D
Less risk yes but if you are only giving out 1 and 2 year deals you aren't going to attract any top talent.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 am

Amazing, the guy signs a lower priced deal and gets mocked? How many times have I heard the saying, "If I were a professional athlete, I would play for the league minimum...."

He'll make at least 18M on the deal, and most likely $31M over only 3 years. Give me a break, it's not that cheap. Even if it's a little below market value, here's a noble thought: maybe he just like playing for the Reds.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheGrump » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:28 am

slomo007 wrote:Amazing, the guy signs a lower priced deal and gets mocked? How many times have I heard the saying, "If I were a professional athlete, I would play for the league minimum...."

He'll make at least 18M on the deal, and most likely $31M over only 3 years. Give me a break, it's not that cheap. Even if it's a little below market value, here's a noble thought: maybe he just like playing for the Reds.

... or maybe it increases his trade value... The Reds need PITCHING!!!!!
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am

Ever hear about a home town discount?

Maybe he really like Cincy? Maybe, unlike certain a free agent outfielder, doesn't just claim to want to stay then leave for a few dollars.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hybrid » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 am

... and if he leaves, the Reds can't form the new Bash Brothers. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers